Cooling problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
    Well I finally got my hands on some thermocure and that stuff WORKS, I was able to run 70 down the highway for 15 miles and not overheat, and when I got to work I could hold my hand on the radiator. Thanks for the suggestion Kodachrome Wolf!
    Hell yeah!

I like stuff that actually works, simply because I hate having to constantly having to deal with a repeat issue. Just keep an eye on the coolant condition/color shift over a few days. In the car I treated, the coolant shifted from green to black. After rinsing everything well a few times, it finally stayed the proper color.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I have since developed a timing cover gasket leak

Should've replaced it when I did the water pump 1k ago

Comment

What a difference in that coolant! Wow

Comment

Originally posted by 91merc View Post
          I have since developed a timing cover gasket leak

Should've replaced it when I did the water pump 1k ago
          Switch to Evan's coolant. It's a process but I'd wager it won't leak again after that and you won't blow out any more heater cores.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Have seen too many stories of much higher engine temps with Evans. To be safe (and save a lot of money) I'll stick to conventional coolant and flush on a timely basis. Probably works for some folks but I'l pass!

P.S. I am allowing for using the product correctly and not leaving more than say 3% water in the system.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I can only report my experience with Evans. The temp runs about 1/2 the width of the pointer higher on the Marauder. Can just barely discern it. It has never gotten any higher than that. I like the really low operating pressure. Evans has checked the coolant for condition every few years for me and so far so good.

if I had realized I was going to keep the TC as long as I have I would have converted that as well.

Evans is only worth it imnsho if you plan on keeping the car or it is a special collectable that has a sealed system. Open systems are not ideal for Evans because it is hygroscopic though I have no idea how long it would take to absorb enough water to require replacement or simmering to remove it.
              Last edited by jaywish; 09-13-2022, 01:41 PM.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I like the idea of low operating pressure also. Don't like that it is hygroscopic, didn't know that..
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                X