P r n d switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P r n d switch

It is misaligned and sluggish going into gear. I'm trying to source a prnd switch. Any part number or advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Year, Make, Model?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Woops. 88 towncar

Comment

What is displayed up on the dash is just a cable actuated indicator. There is no switch for changing gears. There is some adjustment on the indicator so the indicator lines up more proper to what gear you have selected. But changing out the actual indicator will result in no change in how a selected gear would engage.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you take the column apart, many times you can zip tie the collar together to fix the issue. Most of the adjustments (assuming there are no other bad adjustments elsewhere)

Comment

what they said, nothing electronic about the indicator.

The switch at the transmission is only used to turn on the reverse lights and allow the starter to run in P and N. If its going into gear slowly, thats an internal transmission problem, nothing to do with the indicator or the switch.

part number for the neutral safety switch
            F0VY-7A247-A

the indicator assembly with the cable
            E0LY-7A110-A without electronic cluster
            E0LY-7A110-B with electronic cluster
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+! and BIG help, as always, in providing part numbers!

Comment

just in case you have any desire to dig around in the 80-89 Master Parts Manual, here it is

http://www.grandmarq.net/gadget73/MPM/

unfortunately its not a searchable PDF, so you have to navigate it like a less-convenient paper manual. This manual covers all the cars. Trucks are in another manual that I don't have.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                  If you take the column apart, many times you can zip tie the collar together to fix the issue. Most of the adjustments (assuming there are no other bad adjustments elsewhere)
                  Should have said column shroud (the plastic covering held together by a few screws over the column itself) and not the column (I really need to be more precise).

Comment

It's a cable thing. I think it's different for TC, but here is the one for mine (88 Crown Vic).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Same basic concept, just the part where it attaches to the cluster is not the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X