Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I lived to tell the tale...................;86 MGM brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lived to tell the tale...................;86 MGM brakes!

So living in the excrement grotto (aka NYC) I am forced to move my car twice per week for street cleaning or risk a tow and ticket........($300.00).
    So out I go to move the car and find BAM!.........brake pedal goes almost to the floor.
    Check master and find front chamber bone dry, re-fill, BAM..........it empties.......further investigation establishes that the drivers side rear now has a puddle on the ground of brake fluid.
    Call for a flat bed to bring to my buds place on LI............four hour wait to get a toe. F that.
    I say a prayer to G-D and hope for the best............I drive the car 30 miles to the shop. I creep in NYC traffic till I hit the 59th St Bridge .........cross the bridge till i hit the LI Expressway..........where I stay in the right lane and do not go above 40 MPG. I "goose" the brake ever so gently as I know only the front pads are stopping the beast. I manage to arrive at the shop un-scathed,
    car goes on the lift............where we "discover" the brake line to the drivers side rear is full of tiny holes..........figures..........that line has been there since 1986.
    New line is made up, brakes bled.....and away I went. Paid $150.00 and was more than thankful as they stopped other work to accommodate my POS ride!

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I lived to tell the tale

I put a new one on my 90 this past weekend. Honestly, $150 is a good deal. That work just isn't fun. Inspect them all to be sure the next weakest link isn't next.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      I put a new one on my 90 this past weekend. Honestly, $150 is a good deal. That work just isn't fun. Inspect them all to be sure the next weakest link isn't next.
      Tiggie none of the other lines were leaking, LOL I asked about changing all the lines and was told.........well you know......so I am thankful the car is drive-able. Candidly I only need to car to travel to the cemetery where my parents are buried, and to get to my Studebaker which is garaged in the garage of a private party. But.........the master is the one that came new with the car, but so far she is good.......what is the expression, if it works don't fix it;-)

Comment

Glad you made it safely.

Comment

LOL..........now if only the city was safe.........crime out of control:-(

Comment

People keep voting the same douche bags in and it will only get worse!
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Glad you made it safely. That trip couldn't have been fun with traffic and bad brakes. I don't know how you deal with the traffic in NYC. I'm out in Suffolk and even the traffic in Nassau drives me nuts.
              I agree with Tiggie, $150 is a good deal. I hate doing brake lines. They're always such a PITA.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I used to hate making brake lines until i got the hydraulic flaring tool. That and nicopp lines makes it so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                  I used to hate making brake lines until i got the hydraulic flaring tool. That and nicopp lines makes it so much easier.
                  I only have the basic "clamp" style flaring tool but NiCopp lines are a godsend. They bend without kinking easily and flare nicely as well. They're all I've used since I found out about them.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                    Glad you made it safely. That trip couldn't have been fun with traffic and bad brakes. I don't know how you deal with the traffic in NYC. I'm out in Suffolk and even the traffic in Nassau drives me nuts.
                    I agree with Tiggie, $150 is a good deal. I hate doing brake lines. They're always such a PITA.
                    Slack I guess I have consumed too much cool-aid.......born in Brooklyn, grew up in Valley Stream, moved to Miami during Vietnam to 'attend' college, moved back (big mistake) to set up shop in NYC:-(. Actually until getting to the bridge the ride was a non issue, I mean traffic moving at 10 miles per hour did not present too much of a problem for the front brakes, but I did keep my distance. My deceased Brother used to live out in Centereach in the late 70's........I loved his house........lost it when the economy took a crap and he lost his job.

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                      I only have the basic "clamp" style flaring tool but NiCopp lines are a godsend. They bend without kinking easily and flare nicely as well. They're all I've used since I found out about them.
                      Yes those lines are a blessing........last year I ripped out all the steel gas line in my Avanti as I figured it was a good idea for a car with the same steel lines since 1963!

Comment

Working...
                      X