Dorman gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dorman gas tank

So I'm working on an 87 Townie that sat for 6 years and that includes replacing the original gas tank, which is full of crusty rust and smelly varnish and pinhole leaks up top. So I buy a Dorman 576-115 for $83 since that's a damn good price and I get to installing it today, and the cheap crap is for some reason too big for my passenger side tank strap. There is no way the strap will reach around the stud as it is.

I'm not feeling returning the tank so instead I'm feeling either denting in the tank until the strap fits, or custom extending the strap 1/2", and buying a Spectra nice time. :|

+1 on Spectra. Never bought a gas tank from them for Panther stuff, but my '89 K1500 had one installed by the PO and is doing good. Put one in my '69 Plymouth with good results as well. Dorman usually sucks dogs for nickels anyway.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

We had hell to get a stock tank and straps back on a wagon... so I wouldn't be surprised if you need to really FORCE the tank into place to get the strap to even come close to gettin in position. Took two of us holding it up with the help of a jack as well and barely got the nut to thread one turn before needing a wrench to get it the rest of the way, but it did then pull everything very tight very nicely. Those strap studs are a lot longer during assembly and have break off points that shorten them after assembly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Getting those things into place just sucks. I use a floor jack to force the tank up into the car until it won't go anymore, then give it a few more pumps so the tank is now lifting the body off the suspension a little bit, and that'll usually get it there.

I suspect in factory assembly, the stud was not completely threaded into the U-nut, making assembly much easier. Putting this together with a long bolt rather than the stud has made my life easier in the past.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Sly is correct, if you can find OEM studs, they come extra long, with "break off points". Once the straps are in place, grab the end with some vise grips and snap off the ends. Such a weird way to do it lol

Comment

I succeeded to mount the tank today with the original parts.
            Used the two Nuts method to loosen the stud a few turns, making it possible to get the end of the strap over it and finally start it tightening.

I tightened both studs' nuts on the stud to loosen, then using a 15mm crow foot loosening the upper nut while a 15mm socket holds the lower nut, could spin the stud out. Both on multiple extensions since I did this under the car keeping the tank held up by a jack.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

VICTORY!!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Working...
                X