Oil level for dummies...........5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level for dummies...........5.0

So would some of you inform this "dummy" as to what is the correct oil level on my 5.0 dipstick?

Should the oil level come up to the beginning of the hatched area, or should it be at the end of the hatched area?

I know I know, I should know this !!:-(

The above with the engine warmed up and in drive.

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
    So would some of you inform this "dummy" as to what is the correct oil level on my 5.0 dipstick?

Should the oil level come up to the beginning of the hatched area, or should it be at the end of the hatched area?

I know I know, I should know this !!:-(

The above with the engine warmed up and in drive.
    The crosshatch area is the safe area.
    I always fill mine to the top of the hatched area, that way any small leaks / oil consumption doesn't take it immediately below the safe area.

Above the hatching too much, below it too little.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
      The crosshatch area is the safe area.
      I always fill mine to the top of the hatched area, that way any small leaks / oil consumption doesn't take it immediately below the safe area.

Above the hatching too much, below it too little.
      I hope I did not do any damage to the trans, this dummy drove with two qts down:-(..........jeeze Mabel, no wonder the trans was slipping!!!;-(

Comment

Are you talking about the trans or the engine?

The same applies anyways. On mine the AOD dipstick says to check level warm idle and in Park.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Since I assume we are talking about the trany, anywhere in the "hatched" area is fine. Be sure, however to read the stick and check when at full operating temperature in either Park or Neutral (usually Park) but the stick will verify it. If you are 2 quarts down the next question is - why? Since it is a sealed system either it was not filled properly during a previous service or you have a leak.
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Me stupid..........have not checked the trans level in two years:-( Its dangerous to assume one does not have to check things!
            That being said I added 2.5 qts of ATF. No leaks are apparent under the trans pan?.........so now I will keep an eye on the dip-slick!

One question, is morning sickness another name for seals that have become hardened?

Comment

A little above shouldn't make it slip. That would just possibly make it spit out the dipstick tube when it gets hot (ask me how I know - that was an interesting day). Too low is the slipping area. If it's slipping with full level, there's either air in the system (should clear up quickly) or the VB has bad plungers/seals and pressure is leaking or the clutches are shot or the TV cable is not snug enough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wonder how much above "Full" would make the trany slip?

Comment

another common place for trans fluid leaks are the fittings going into the radiator and at the trans end of the cooler lines. Those quick connect fittings fail and weep fluid. With patience you can repair them with new O rings but its annoying. I was told the Dorman ones are currently out of stock everywhere but I haven't actually checked this personally. Last set that came through here I rebuilt because new ones weren't on hand and I didn't want to dip into my personal stash of spares. Probably took an hour to fix the two, but my picks were dull and I had my hand bandaged up. With a sharp pick and a full working set of fingers it probably wouldn't be too bad.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    another common place for trans fluid leaks are the fittings going into the radiator and at the trans end of the cooler lines. Those quick connect fittings fail and weep fluid. With patience you can repair them with new O rings but its annoying. I was told the Dorman ones are currently out of stock everywhere but I haven't actually checked this personally. Last set that came through here I rebuilt because new ones weren't on hand and I didn't want to dip into my personal stash of spares. Probably took an hour to fix the two, but my picks were dull and I had my hand bandaged up. With a sharp pick and a full working set of fingers it probably wouldn't be too bad.
                    Four years ago when I replaced the radiator, I was fortunate in that the mechanic had new fittings that went into the tank. I think he also replaced the fittings that went into the trans case, not too sure. When I next am there for a LOF I will check the trans fittings. Thanks for the heads up, I would never even considered those areas as prone to weeping!

Comment

Is morning sickness due to hard seals?

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                        Is morning sickness due to hard seals?
                        Is this a new happening after servicing? If so, make sure that little filter gasket was put in when the filter was changed. If not, possible seal issues but to my knowledge, AOD's don't usually have this issue (but it is still a possibility). Could always just warm the car a little longer.

Comment

Morning sickness is usually something between the pump and VB where a seal is leaking profusely until warmed up. It's usually the pump seal internally, but it can be other internal seals and gaskets. It could also be a bad VB torque job. If the proper torque and pattern was not used, it will only lead to tears and having to replace the VB.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

LOL it may not be morning sickness, just my stupidity in not checked the trans dipstick in a very very long time:-(. It is amazing how proper the trans acted this morning................after I added 2.5 qts of tranny fluid

Comment

My 90 Colony Park has morning sickness AND when I go over a speed bump or hump in the road, it loses gear. I have to stop, put it in park and go back into Drive to get going again. I'm hoping its the filter not seated properly. WagonMan
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park
                              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X