!993 Mercury Grand Marquis Multi Function Switch Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!993 Mercury Grand Marquis Multi Function Switch Replacement

As the switch was good enough to come apart at the wiper function end (probably the glue let go) it is time to replace it. Have the OEM part and was wondering if it is required to remove one of the battery terminal before beginning the procedure? I know the hazard function is live, even while the car is off so there could be a possibility of shorting something out. Bigger concern (?) is the possibility of the airbag going off (I do like my nose where it currently is). I realize it would be safer to pull a battery cable but is it absolutely necessary? Thoughts????
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

If you're that concerned i would pull the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
      If you're that concerned i would pull the cable.
      If I do, I wonder how long it takes the air bag capacitors to dissipate the power?

Comment

Replacing the MFS doesn’t require any airbag removal nor do the wires going to it have anything to do with the airbag operation. You only need to remove the column shroud behind the wheel to gain access.

Most repair guides will always have you disconnect the battery prior to starting work, but on a job like this, you could probably get away without.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I've replaced MFS on my 93 without disconnecting the battery. If you only mess with the MFS, there's no wires to worry about causing issues with the airbag.
          Last edited by sly; 10-02-2022, 03:33 PM. Reason: typosd

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That's the info I was looking for. Figured as much but needed confirmation from "those in the know"! Thanks guys!!

Comment

Working...
            X