No announcement yet.

Shake rattle and roll.............'86 MGM 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nope. One year only setup. This is the cable, on the throttle body side its basically just a a piece of round stock sticking down with a groove cut into it for the cable to slide over.

https://www.2040-parts.com/tv-cable-...able-i1092256/

I may be a bit biased but I really think it was a better design. No stupid plastic thing to fail and nuke the transmission, and it doesn't require taking anything apart to adjust it. Just pull the release and move the cable.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

General Motors switched to that style end sometime in the late 70's, maybe early 80's for their tv and kick down cables.
      Attached Files

Comment

yeah its very much like a 200R4 / 700R4 cable. Why they didn't stick to it I don't know, its a much better design than the stupid plastic bushing that fails.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well today I had the car out on a 100 mile run. I have to say that since the addition of almost 3qts of tranny fluid the car does not shake rattle and roll when I stomp the gas to go into passing gear.
          Also no more trans slipping

Comment

Low trany fluid will do that....
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

yeah it was probably sucking air and the clutches were chattering. Very not good.

Comment

LOL since adding almost 4 qts of tranny fluid, no more shake rattle and roll;-)

Comment

That's a lot of tranny fluid. Either someone worked on the system and never replaced the proper amount or there is a leak.
                  Last edited by friskyfrankie; 12-20-2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Did not check the dip stick in over three years:-(

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                      Did not check the dip stick in over three years:-(
                      Not something many folks do but I'd still want to know why it was that low.

Comment

Yeah... Even with all the additional joints on mine, I don't lose any. The leak at the slip yoke seal is where I lose fluid. About a quart per 3K miles so meh.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well next time I am on the lift I will take a look, Btw, no drips or fluid under the trans the ground is always dry.

Comment

usually where these leak if its not at the trans are the cooler fittings on the radiator. Shows up as blood under the front corner of the car.

Comment

Unless, as previously stated, it was worked on and never completely filled up, 4 qts. went somewhere and those fittings mentioned are a great place to look. If the level wasn't checked, in a few years, a little all the time, for that long could easily amount to several quarts.

Comment

Could be as I had the radiator replaced a few years ago???

Comment

Working...
                                X