1993 GM Ignition Cylinder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 GM Ignition Cylinder Question

Replaced the Multi Function switch today and had an interesting time getting the lock cylinder out. Had it in "Run" and probed the hole to push the "ball" up so I could pull it out. Finally got it to work but after reinstalling it I noticed the warning charm goes off when I open the car door and before I put the key in the cylinder. Didn't do that before I removed and reinstalled so is this normal or does it just supposed to chime with the door open and key in?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Sometimes the chime thingy gets out of place, or the wire gets pinched. Happened to me on my 93 once.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
      Sometimes the chime thingy gets out of place, or the wire gets pinched. Happened to me on my 93 once.
      Guess then it is not normal. Could always try to remove and reinstall but not sure that is going to fix it. As long as it doesn't cause any harm, not really sure if it matters much. Was just trying to find out what the normal working of it is.

Comment

yeah its just a little plastic thing, easy to knock it out of position or to have the finger get bent.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah i didn't know what to call it. It's a small plastic piece that gets pushed over when you insert the key.

Comment

Makes sense as something has to trigger it. Guess the question still remains: Is it normal for the chime to work when the driver's door is opened before inserting the key in the ignition or does the key have to be inserted as well?

Comment

Even if you don't ever disturb the lock cylinder, that can get out of alignment. Mine is loose and I have to jiggle the key wings to get things back centered since they are no longer firmly attached.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

no it shouldn't chime with no key in the ignition.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1, the little thing on the side of the ignition cylinder is what needs to be investigated. Should not chime without a key unless you have headlights on that you forgot about.
                  Picture of what the side of the ignition cylinder should look like:
                  Attached Files
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Excellent as that is what I thought. Thanks guys for confirming what I need to know and for the great photo of the cylinder. As long as I don't have any negative issues from it I'll call it righteous repair and done!

Comment

Or just unplug the wire for the chime and never be bothered by it again.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                        Or just unplug the wire for the chime and never be bothered by it again.
                        Then there is that. It seems to happen sometimes but not others so the mechanism has to be just slightly out of sorts.

Comment

Working...
                        X