Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thx Frisky

Comment

No problem - really hope it helps and just get back to us with the happy results!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Sounds like the relay is bypassed. The relay socket should have constant hot so if it's bypassed, that would cause constant hot direct to the pump.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          Sounds like the relay is bypassed. The relay socket should have constant hot so if it's bypassed, that would cause constant hot direct to the pump.
          Agreed. Like the relay is jumped out.

Comment

yeah something is shorted. Only place a hot and the fuel pump feed should be anywhere close together is in the socket itself but someone could have bridged those. Likely if its going to exist, it will be right under the relay in the socket area or very close to it.

if the ECM was b0rked, it would still stop the pump if you pulled the relay. the only thing the ECM can do is ground one pin of the fuel pump relay. If the relay is out, whatever might be happening with the ECM or wiring to/from it will not matter. Someone has jacked it up on the power feed side.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

GOT IT. Whoever said fuel pump was jumped was correct. While attempting to fix the stalling out poor running issue, I changed the ignition control module and I screwed up the timing. The car was towed to a local mechanic shop to get the timing issue fixed. Well I called them to ask them if they altered the fuel pump at the shop and the manager seemed confused. However today while tracing wires I found this wire sticking out of a harness(see picture). I pulled it out and the fuel pump shut off as intended. Thanks so much for all your input guys huge help.

Fuel pump is sorted out, but still runs rough so I’ll still continue to search for vacuum leaks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D273604A-001C-4E19-8A0A-FC043CE32598.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	1290771

Comment

That's the fuel system priming port. You should ask for the plug back that fills that hole so the connectors don't get full of dirt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  That's the fuel system priming port. You should ask for the plug back that fills that hole so the connectors don't get full of dirt.
                  Great idea ^^^

Comment

Just remembered... that plug may be there on the inner fender as I think it has a push in fastener (christmas tree) on the back that holds it down. I'll try to look at my wife's car when I get home as it has the same thing.

Comment

Here's what it looks like...
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1290772

Comment

so does that jump the +12v contacts then ? The one in the self-test connector grounds the relay same as the ECM does, so it won't run the pump with no relay installed.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah... this one jumps the 12V hot to the wire to the pump. Can be run when the car is off. A service port so to speak.

Comment

thats actually quite useful. The old style one had to have the key turned on for that. No +12v to the relay coil without the ECM relay pulled.

Comment

Unfortunately shop must have lost the plug to that fuel pump service port so I capped it with a generic plug for now. Thank for all the reply’s, very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X