AOD/AODE Optimal Fluid Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD/AODE Optimal Fluid Levels

My understanding is that as long as the fluid is in the "cross-hatch" area of the dipstick, you are fine. Just curious if there is an optimal (sweet spot) within that level. Does the trany "like it better" on the lower end of that, the middle or the high end?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

AFAIK as long as it lands in the cross-hatch area at operating temperature, everything's good. Don't want to overfill.

Having shifting concerns?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

If you have leaks, high end. If you drive hard (turn sharp and lean hard), high end. If you drive for comfort and don't stress anything out, anywhere is fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
        AFAIK as long as it lands in the cross-hatch area at operating temperature, everything's good. Don't want to overfill.

Having shifting concerns?
        Need to take a better look at the level to determine how high it really is. Sometimes I get a little "buck" or slip with the keyword being "sometimes". Would think if it is high (easy enough to determine) it would not feel right all the time. I'll be checking it in the next week or two after I get through some medical appointments. Don't see any leaks so that is good!

Comment

The hash marks are 1 pint apart, total capacity is a smidge over 12 quarts for a completely empty trans. Within that 1 pint range it doesn't care.

A lot of "transmission" problems are really engine problems, so intermittent nonsense might be a misfire.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good point on the misfire - will be looking into that in addition to the fluid level. When you say "hash marks are one pint apart" do you mean from the bottom of the hash to the top?

Comment

yes. Bottom of the hash marks is the "add 1 pint" mark, or at least it is on the AOD. Don't remember if its actually marked on the dipstick or just in the owner's manual though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wonder what the functional/performance difference is between the level being at the lower line of the hatch marks and say in the middle of the hatch marks? That would be maybe a half pint?

Comment

Functional difference should be none, but since the pickup is through the filter at the bottom, it needs enough fluid in it to keep the filter well fed. I know I kept my 88 MGM at the top mark because I would lean that thing in corners pretty hard and didn't want the trans pump sucking air. My 93 has the newer pan with the drain plug and the matching filter with the drop tube so it sucks in the drain plug sump area. Before that upgrade I was sucking air at times in sweeping right turns at speed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X