O2 Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O2 Sensors

How delicate are they? I got a P2195 code this morning on my way to work. Started off fine; in fact, it felt a tiny bit peppier than normal. A few miles into the commute, on the parkway, the car started bucking and backfiring through the exhaust. CEL came on for a few seconds and went off. I turned around and headed back home. I would get a few seconds of normal engine operation here and there. After limping it home; I pulled the P0303 and P2195 code. Only thing I can think of is that I was rapping on the passenger side exhaust manifold collector with the impact gun on Saturday. Did that for a good 45 minutes before giving up. Could I have killed the O2 sensor doing that?

It is possible. I have heard and read of it happening during exhaust work and such, with impact drivers.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

+1 possible, but the P0303 misfire is probably more concerning. Cylinder 3 is not happy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't get the time to pull that plug yesterday. I noticed a month ago that the passenger side valve cover was getting greasy. If it's the valve cover gaskets going; perhaps oil is getting into the #3 plug well? When I changed the plugs and coils a few years ago; that side was dry; it was the driver side wells that had water and oil in them. Meh; the car is at the mechanic now anyways. They will figure it out.

Comment

According to my mechanic; he said the #3 coil went south on me. Which is weird because I only changed the coils and plugs on 10/7/2019. He also changed out the oxygen sensor with the new one I had for the exhaust install. He only briefly road tested it; but he had no issues. I will take it out tonight and see if the problem went away.

So without starting another thread; how often does one change coils on a 4.6?

Comment

If you used non OEM quite often! Many of the aftermarket ones are pure garbage. Did you use OEM? If so, make sure they were not counterfeit ones. If not, you may wish to reconsider.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I've changed one coil on my 93 and none on anything else. The one on the 93 (later PI engine that only had 58K on it and using CoP setup as well) only failed because I drove it with a plug that was blowing through (ceramic loosened up in the steel collar and allowed combustion gasses to blow by and up the coil's ass). Toasted the coil pretty good because it was on the way back from Scottfest and about 90 miles from home and I just hammered down and got home. The coil died about 2 months later as the secondary (HV side) melted apart through a crack in the casing. I've heard horror stories about these coils though and they last anywhere from 50K to 500K but if they get hot or wet they tend to die. The coil I used as a replacement was a Duralast (Autozone) coil and it's seen about another 50K of mileage or so since then and had no issues. So as with all replacement parts these days, YMMV.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                Those Mod engines are pretty incredible things, but as FriskyFrankie said.. Don't use Aftermarket Coils. They are all junk.
                The 4.6 on a 93 Mark VIII ran to 279K miles with OEM coils.
                I've only changed them once on my 5.4 (which is the same coil) and I changed all of them. Years later, still smooth as glass.
                I believe in VERY light anti-seize on plug threads, and dielectric grease in plug boots.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

I also agree in keeping the original coils if you can. I had to replace them on my V10 because one was aftermarket, and several more were cracked on the epoxy stuff on the top. I used REALLY cheap coils ($45 for all ten) and haven't had issues yet (your luck may vary).
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yah, I paid the extra coin for the Motorcraft coils. So there are knockoffs of those as well? How do I know if mine are the knockoffs (other than them failing)?

Comment

I'd do all at the same time and all OEM. There should be the Ford emblem and or part number somewhere on the coils (since we are talking COP's and not coil packs like on the 91 or 92-96 or 97?). Usually aftermarket ones are real obvious to spot but if they are real fakes, using Ford part numbers or symbols, that is more difficult.

Comment

8W7E-12A366-AA
                        8 C 229 2 17

No Ford emblem though.

I replaced all coil packs and plugs in 2019.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1290780

Comment

That matches the images I'm finding on all of the parts sites... so I'm not real sure how to tell about the replacement coils. Looks like Motorcraft coils may also be made by Denso as well. So getting the Denso part will get you OEM coils.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                            8W7E-12A366-AA
                            8 C 229 2 17

No Ford emblem though.

I replaced all coil packs and plugs in 2019.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58525[/ATTACH]
                            Looks legit - try to find some clear photos of OEM ones, on the Internet, and match them up.

Comment

I bought Denso coil packs IIRC. I will have to find my receipt to verify when I get home.

I have been keeping all of my receipts/packing lists ever since my friend in high school lost his Lightning swapped Fox body.

Comment

Working...
                              X