No announcement yet.

Firing Order Has Me Fired Up.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIXED!!! I set the timing at 0 degrees instead of 10 degrees btdc. The dang balancer was rusty so it looked right the first time, plus I was frustrated and it was dark. lol
    On the bright side. I figured out that if you set the timing at 0 degrees you can make a non-HO 302 run on 351 firing order.

Comment

Yeah. It runs like garbage, but it will run.
      Fun with different specs for the same engine. /sarcasm

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, that's good feedback on the issue. I know a few of us were a bit confused when you said it ran better with the HO firing order but there was no evidence that it was an HO engine.

Those timing marks are quite hard to see on rusty balancers. The first time I saw a non-rusty balancer (Derek's Town Car) I was in awe at how well I could read every single mark.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Sand paper/scotch brite pad with a gently touch on the balancer while engine running will help clean it up real nice.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

white out (correction fluid) or silver marker or bright color paint and then sanding as mentioned will make the hash marks stand out very well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used a silver paint marker on mine. Same one I used to fix some of the chrome stuff on the lenses.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I use white out. I put a large mark at 10 and a smaller mark at about 13. Pretty sure I could have read Derek's without marking it with the timing light going, it was that clean and clear.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                  ...Those timing marks are quite hard to see on rusty balancers. The first time I saw a non-rusty balancer (Derek's Town Car) I was in awe at how well I could read every single mark.
                  That car has certainly spoiled me. Don't think I ever checked the timing on my '85. Was cutting my teeth with that car, first Panther experience. That one was decently clean though too. An '85 with "1" as the VIN's first digit. Don't think I've seen that since.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My 85 ltd had a 1 as the first digit as well. I want to say it was built in St Louis for whatever reason. Or maybe it was the dso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, that's what the sticker on my '85 looked like. I like your car, grey ghost. Is it still around?
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I sold it back in 2015 and I’m sure it met it’s demise shortly thereafter. It ran relatively well for a cfi car but had some body rot and the trunk lid was caved in some. The interior was in good shape for being as old and neglected as it was. It was a bare bones model too. I don’t feel like paying for a carfax but I’d like to know if it’s still on the road or not.

Comment

I looked on the free carfax type sites and cannot determine if it is still around.

1FABP43FXFZ114920

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I’ll look into it one day, I’m curious now.

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                              I’ll look into it one day, I’m curious now.
                              It got new tires in Naples Florida in 2020. Alignment in 2019. Decent chance of it still being around.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                                It got new tires in Naples Florida in 2020. Alignment in 2019. Decent chance of it still being around.
                                Really? That’s good to hear. Maybe one day while I’m cruising around I’ll see it again. It’s nice to see people taking care of these old cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X