No announcement yet.

Alternator Capacities For '88 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran the stock wiring with a ring terminal clamped on it for a while. No issues. But when I started adding more electrical load, I upgraded the wires. It can be done, but it's not advised as a bad battery that allows the alternator to go full tilt trying to charge the brick will fry the stock fuse links in the wires after a while.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Haven't looked into it but I am sure someone sells an upgraded (3G) alternator and complete wiring kit. Would have to use the same frame and belt, though as I probably wouldn't be able to convince him if too many changes have to be made besides me not wanting the extra work!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        I'll add that I did what I don't think anyone else has- I kept the factory wiring in addition to the 3G wire that came from a mid 90's Continental. I've put some 20 or 30k miles on the car since and it hasn't burned down. I agree with what someone else said, it looks factory, no one who doesn't know panthers has ever commented about it.
        I did the same on my 91 Grand Marquis. I didn't feel like taking the harness loom apart to get the original wires out. I was also considering the possibility of a roadside alternator failure when away from home, and a parts store possibly only having a 2G on the shelf.

Current driver: wagon
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Not too concerned about the original wiring. I am sure it can be tucked, here and there enough to be hidden. More interested in the frame and belt/pulley matching up. Pulleys can be swapped but some alternator design makes that difficult if not impossible. It has been mentioned so I believe certain Mustang years (mid 90's?) are basically an easy swap.

Comment

LMR sells a 3G upgrade kit.
            https://lmr.com/item/SVE-17046K2/Mus...rade-87-93-50L

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              Thought I ran across that some time ago - perfect! Wonder if any frame alteration needs to be done and if you can just put the same belt back?

Comment

You can use the same belt, but it will be a little tighter due to the larger pulley. The bracket on the vehicle will sometimes need to be ground out to allow more movement at the lower bolt. The inside edge towards the crank pulley might need to be ground/milled to allow for the wider alternator case ear around that lower bolt. I did the grinding on the car when I did the swap on the 88 MGM I had. This left a lot of shavings on the front of the engine in the old oil residues. Since the bracket holds the power steering pump, I was not inclined to remove it from the car to do the grinding. Others have not needed to do any grinding. Mine needed about 3/8 to half an inch of lip taken off.

Comment

Yeah, it appears some grinding would be required unless you can find a 3G alternator that has the exact same dimensions. I guess it depends upon the alternator as to if you can swap pulleys so there is no difference in belt tightness.

Comment

I did not need to swap belts, but I put an alternator from a Windstar(?) on my car. There's a nub in the casting that prevents it from moving full range of travel, but I think that's in the loose direction. There is about 1/2 an inch of space left to tighten the belt if need be, no squeals. I don't recall swapping pulleys either, but certainly an option.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      I did not need to swap belts, but I put an alternator from a Windstar(?) on my car. There's a nub in the casting that prevents it from moving full range of travel, but I think that's in the loose direction. There is about 1/2 an inch of space left to tighten the belt if need be, no squeals. I don't recall swapping pulleys either, but certainly an option.
                      Do you recall the year of the Windstar replacement?

Comment

Having gone through two 3G alternators, the first one fit without grinding while the second required modification. The first came off a Taurus, the second a Mustang. But if you need to swap alternators on the road, the parts store might not have the one that just barely fits. It'd be more prudent to shave the bracket now.
                        1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                          Do you recall the year of the Windstar replacement?
                          Looks like '95-'98 would be the right year range for the Windstar.

For Taurus, just add a year at each end of the range ('94-'99).
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            Looks like '95-'98 would be the right year range for the Windstar.

For Taurus, just add a year at each end of the range ('94-'99).
                            Wonder on the '94-99 Taurus if you can use the pulley that comes with it of if need to swap the one from the original '87/'88. As you can guess, I am trying to make the swap as painless as possible. Not really interested in doing all kinds of "unnatural acts" to make it all fit.

Comment

The 3G swap sticky should have that full list of vehicles. I helped compile that list several years ago for this site.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...upgrade-README

Yup... first post. Also verified all the links in that post are working.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                The 3G swap sticky should have that full list of vehicles. I helped compile that list several years ago for this site.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...upgrade-README

Yup... first post. Also verified all the links in that post are working.
                                Sounds like GREAT info - I will "peep it out"!

Comment

Working...
                                X