Alternator Capacities For '88 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator Capacities For '88 CV

My friend's '88 CV has a 60 amp alternator (don't ask - he was on a trip and the local Pep Boys installed it as he was stuck). In any event, I was wondering how high of a capacity he could go without installing a 3G (my choice but he wants to keep everything original). I know the ones for the Canadian market with the "Instaclear" (I think that is the correct trade name) windshield have 100 amps so was wondering how high he could go without changing the current wiring or creating a fire hazard (any more than the current ones do)?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

The wiring for the 2G he has is not the same as the wiring for the (1G?) 100 Amp alternator that came on the insta-clear cars. The 2G wiring is really barely adequate for whatever stock replacement you can buy off the shelf from the parts store, usually around 65 Amps. As you know, with time the barely adequate wiring ends up becoming inadequate and even a fire hazard due in large part to oxidation.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Highest he can go without changing wiring (re: 3G swap) is 65 amp. Even with that, he still risks having a fire due to the issues Vic mentioned. I understand keeping it original, but he should consider longevity of the car. A 3G swap can be made to look original with some wire loom work for that one going across the header panel, but having the car catch fire and burn down helps nobody.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Police cars used the 1G externally regulated 100 amp. It was turd too. Owned a number of those cars. I believe the alt. frame is larger on a 1G too.

The 3G swap can easily be made to look stock. I did it on my pristine '90 LX 5.0 with 30k original miles. The new owner wanted a stock car, but was very glad to see the upgraded alternator.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

What P72 said. So easy even I did it, that should tell you something.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

In the end, it is their car, so it's their choice. But they can't go over the stock current rating without changing wires out no matter what they do.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              In the end, it is their car, so it's their choice. But they can't go over the stock current rating without changing wires out no matter what they do.
              Agree completely but my friend is like a mule standing in concrete! Once he thinks a certain way, it is difficult to convince him otherwise. Maybe, eventually, if he keeps the car, I can convince him to do a 3G conversion.

Comment

Good point on the different sizes between 1G and 2G. The bracket is different to accommodate this. So not just a wiring difference, but a physical difference as well.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

there is a 95 amp 3g, maybe you could get by with it but it still needs wiring mods to even connect. Beats the pants off having a fire though.

I have two cars with the external 1G. 100 amp on the Mark VII and a 70 on the Continental. The 70 works fine actually but the 100 has crappy idle output and does that pulsing headlight thing. No easy swap on those, the brackets pretty much stick me to whats there unless I want to do a bunch of nonsense. I have a spare 100 amp on the shelf just in case.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1G = large frame 3G (in a lot of taurus', what I ended up using on my '89, but you'll need a bracket from a 1G car and use the original pulley from the cvgm and use the original belt).

2G = small frame 3G (the mustang 3G that is usually recommended).

Comment

there is something about the one on the VII that makes me have to cut something on the big frame 3g to make it fit. I forget what, but since I've not had one go bad I haven't cared enough to really look at it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Having done several 3G swaps (two on non-Panther applications that originally were 1G units) and a single 6G swap, reliability went up.

Hopefully you can convince your friend to break the 100% originality for his sake if he's regularly using the car. Honestly the 3G units don't look too far out of place underhood if you route the cabling nicely and terminate the old charge harness cleverly.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                          1G = large frame 3G (in a lot of taurus', what I ended up using on my '89, but you'll need a bracket from a 1G car and use the original pulley from the cvgm and use the original belt).

2G = small frame 3G (the mustang 3G that is usually recommended).
                          There is a caveat here that often gets forgotten but mustn't be omitted.

There is also a small frame 60-something amp 1G that came stock on pre-86 Panthers (and many other vehicles). No fire hazard risk of the 2G, but lackluster low RPM performance, but not really a totally awful alternator like the 2G.

Current driver: Ranger
                          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                          | 88 TC | 91 GM
                          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

I "may" be able to someday soon convince him to make the swap but I too would prefer replacing the alternator with one that uses the same frame and belt/pulley.

Comment

I'll add that I did what I don't think anyone else has- I kept the factory wiring in addition to the 3G wire that came from a mid 90's Continental. I've put some 20 or 30k miles on the car since and it hasn't burned down. I agree with what someone else said, it looks factory, no one who doesn't know panthers has ever commented about it.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X