No announcement yet.

Alternator Capacities For '88 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think all 3G have wider ears than the 2G. Some grinding may be required in the bolt channel on the bracket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The Vulcan (3.0L V6 OHV) equipped Taurus/Sable and 3.8 V6 Mustang from about '94-'00 all offer the correct small case 3G.

I've had a '99 Mustang V6 alternator on my '87 and I tossed a late 90s era Sable alternator into TecNickal's '89 Colony Park when we did the engine swap. Neither required any grinding on the bracket and I used the stock pulleys from both. I only had to give a mild tap with a hammer on mine when I went to install it and it slipped right into the bracket. Didn't have any issue removing it though when it finally called it quits and I plopped a 6G in its place.

I just recall both of our cars needed a K060510 belt to make everything work.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I believe that belt number is a Gates part. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Wonder if it was super seeded by another number?
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
          I believe that belt number is a Gates part. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Wonder if it was super seeded by another number?
          I used the Gates numbering because that was the numbering sequence I remember the most having done parts prior. The belt was a Dayco showing 5060510 and 6PK1295 (still have it hanging in the garage). Fit good for using a 3G with the V6 pulley from those donor cars.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I really don't get the whole grinding or belt size change thing. When I had a stock crank pulley on my car, I had a 90s Mustang 130 amp and the stock size belt on my car. It fit, my brackets and the alternator were never modified. The 130 amp ran it's stock pulley too. I was able to get the belt on without any sort of major ordeal, though it did require slightly more effort than the original alternator did. It became a 3 minute job instead of a 2.5 minute job.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Without the grinding, I had to remove both bolts and unseat the alternator about half an inch to get the belt on and then attempt to get the bolts back in. It was a royal pain. After grinding the bolt channel lip down, no issues getting the belt on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I think the tolerances on the 3G cases are wide enough that half the time you'll have an alternator that fits the stock bracket tightly, but without modification. But the other half, you'll need to grind things out to make it fit. I still think it's prudent to modify the bracket from the start, because you never know when you'll be on the road and need to swap in a new alternator that may or may not fit otherwise.
                1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Perhaps I am being dense but is there an alternator, belt and pulley that is an exact swap without alteration (not including the electrical wiring part)? Seems to be opinions all over the map on this one.

Comment

Small frame 3G has the same mounting dimensions as the 2g as far as bolt locations go and is a physical drop in with potential mechanical cosmetic interference (aka; just cut/grind/remove whats in the way).
                    Large frame 3G has the same mounting dimensions as the 100amp externally regulated alternator.

re the mention of the 3.8 in the taurus; up here at the time of my junkyarding they where everywhere, a small case would have been a unicorn. Probably says more about the 3.8 longevity or some other major mechanical failure in that generation taurus' that found them a plenty in the yards here. (this would be around 2000).

Pulleys are a minor nuisance. You have your original alternator to get the pulley off of if you need it (impact wrench). If you can't get the original belt on, swap the pulley (impact of any kind will get the nut off). 2G, 3G and even general motors 10si and 12si pulleys can be swapped around (been contemplating putting a 3G in my c10).

Frankie; look for the 3.0 taurus alternator mentioned by sly, the other routinely accepted direct swap is a 1994/1995 mustang 3g, and you use the original belt for the cvgm. All of these use the 6rib belt.

Comment

Thanks for the detail! So it appears the Taurus 3.0 is the alternator to use. Swapping pulleys is easy. Wonder if the OEM original belt would work along with the Taurus 3.0 alternator?

Comment

Pretty much any vehicle with the 3.0L vulcan engine (re: pushrod overhead valve, not overhead cam) in the 90s and early 00s.

Comment

I used the PA Performance kit and yes, I added a YOOGE charging wire and fuse too. I'm positive (see what I did there?) you could run a normal sized charging wire without anyone even seeing it. Some other cars I've seen run the charging wire to the battery side of the solenoid under the battery connection to be less obvious.
                          I used their 3G conversion plug and it was as easy as tying my shoe. I wear slip on Vans so...
                          https://www.paperformance.com/130a-3g-alternator-1619/
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Wonder if the alternator you referenced requires frame alteration?

Comment

Sorry - just read on their page that it might!

Comment

Mine went right on. No grinding. Some of the bigger case alternators used on the trucks will need modifications. I'll try to find the post showing it mounted...
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X