Replacement Valve Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Valve Covers

Who is a good source for Windsor 4.6 valve covers? My passenger side valve cover is leaking. Can I get away with just replacing the gasket? Or should I search for replacement valve covers? I can't find anybody that has Windsor 4.6 valve covers (Summit, JEGS, LMR, Rockauto, AA1, etc.....). Not even the aftermarket has them.

Will these fit? I think they also come in silver if that's how you roll.

https://totalengineairflow.com/produ...k-4-6l-windsor
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I got away with just replacing the gasket. Since they're plastic, check them for cracks and if you do replace the gaskets, CLEAN the covers. All gasket mating surfaces. Even all of the bolt holes. That's where mine were weeping from after I did the gaskets on mine. The bolt grommets were still leaking. I released each bolt and moved the grommet (spin in place) until I felt like I didn't feel anything rolling between it and the cover any more. That was a PITA. Also, I hate hoe buried these engines are getting now. So much to take off above them to get at anything.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks guys

I will call TEA and see if they still have a set of VCs. I noticed they last updated that site in 2020.

My MGM engine compartment isn't too bad. It appears to be easier to deal with than the Explorer. That was ridiculously difficult!

Comment

Whats a Windsor 4.6 ?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ABOUT THE WINDSOR ENGINE:

The Windsor engine gets it's name from the engine plant it was manufactured in. The Ford Windsor plant is located in Windsor, Ontario and produced the 4.6L motors for Mustangs from 1999-2001.The Windsor engine can be distinguished from Romeo blocks by looking for a "W" stamp on the block. Most Windsor engines feature an 8 bolt crankshaft and require 8 bolt flywheels. Windsor heads can be distinguished by a 13/14 bolt valve cover bolt pattern. The Windsor engine also had 8mm hardware compared to the 10mm hardware found on Romeo engines. In most cases, Windsor engines got floating pin pistons with powdered metal rods w/ cracked caps.

Comment

so its a modular engine. Windsors in my mind are pushrod engines.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agreed. Windsor was just where they were made and does not indicate any design parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  so its a modular engine. Windsors in my mind are pushrod engines.
                  That's the way Ford should have kept it. But they had to make things complicated and make Windsor and Romeo 4.6 modular engines. I happen to have the Windsor 4.6; that apparently has less parts availability than the Romeo 4.6s

Comment

interesting. All of my 4.6s are Romeo. Seems that the Windsors are X vins instead of W vins as well. Something to keep in mind if shopping for 99-01 Mustangs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wait! Windsors and Romeos are not model-specific?

Comment

Here is some interesting info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Whats a Windsor 4.6 ?
                          I don't know, but I'd have to say this "Windsor" being discussed seems to be a mighty fine place.

Current driver: wagon
                          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                          | 88 TC | 91 GM
                          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

GM did similar goofy things on the 4.3 V6, you had a Romulus engine or a Tonawanda engine. The cam bearings are different for some reason. Just seems dumb to me to have a nearly-identical engine made in 2 places that are not actually identical.

Comment

The 99-mid 01 mustangs had windsors because the Romeo engine plant couldn’t keep up. Everything for the most part is interchangeable between the two engines as they’re pretty much the same, just small differences. There is no reason to avoid one over the other. The easy way to identify the motors is to count the valve cover bolts. Windsors have 13/14, Romeo’s have 11 on both sides. Also, the Windsor 4.6 was primarily used in trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X