Removing Oil Dipstick Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Oil Dipstick Tube

Does anybody have any tips on removing a 17 year old oil dipstick? Mine is VERY tight and no amount of pulling is gonna get that thing out. Tried lightly hammering up from the bottom on the mounting flange; and there is no sign of movement. The base of the dipstick is clean, but the oil pan flange looks crusty.

Heat, light grip with a curved vice grip and a fire extinguisher handy. Wiggle it back and forth with some upwards pressure.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

^^^^^^^Thanks Heat gun and a fire extinguisher will be the next method^^^^^^^^^

I ordered another dipstick tube from Rockauto in case this one breaks.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of fire as the heat source. Can say I tried using a heat gun to expand/loosen krudded metal so who knows.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Okay, I got my replacement dipstick. It looks to have a shoulder above the O-ring. Maybe that's the crusty part that I'm seeing. I'll find out when the rain stops.

Comment

Working...
          X