Permanent wipers?? You gotta be kidding me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent wipers?? You gotta be kidding me

This 89 LX somehow has permanent wiper blades. I was able to disassemble a pair I bought and change the rubber, but I really don't want to have to do that again. That was a massive pain.

I can't find anything about these sort of blades. Is there a reasonable way to remove them, or am I going to have to replace the arms entirely?

I would include a photo, but the site is kinda collapsing on itself right now and won't let me. The end of the rod looks like it's got a cog-style lock washer on it.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Shit, I put this in the wrong section. God I hate touchscreens. Sorry.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ggmdrFNoz_A

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I guess the embedding is broken. If that link doesn't work for whatever reason, there's a spring in the middle where the pin passes through the blade. Press down on the spring with a screwdriver and work the blade off the pin.

No "permanent wipers".

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

No worries... Thread moved to Exterior.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, push the tab on the blade and unlock it, it pops off the peg. Easy-peasy.

Could be worse, my Continental is supposed to use some bonkers special blade that you can't get. Someone changed the arms on it long ago to what I'm guessing are supposed to be Fairmont parts. Now it takes the same blade as the Towncar.

I remember when you could get wiper inserts and rebuilding them was a thing. Not sure those or the frames they fit into are even available now. I've not done it since I've been driving and thats been 25 years now.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, push the tab on the blade and unlock it, it pops off the peg. Easy-peasy.

Could be worse, my Continental is supposed to use some bonkers special blade that you can't get. Someone changed the arms on it long ago to what I'm guessing are supposed to be Fairmont parts. Now it takes the same blade as the Towncar.

I remember when you could get wiper inserts and rebuilding them was a thing. Not sure those or the frames they fit into are even available now. I've not done it since I've been driving and thats been 25 years now.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They still market inserts? I have only seen the entire blade but maybe someone still sells them.
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                  They still market inserts? I have only seen the entire blade but maybe someone still sells them.
                  Trico still offers some insert options, but the cost of the inserts are almost equal to that of just buying an entire replacement.

My Cars:

Comment

So far as i know they don't even fit on the disposable blades. The arms that took refills were different.

Comment

Working...
                    X