GMGT’s 1959 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMGT’s 1959 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Being down at Cruisin’ the Coast gave me the itch for a classic, so I pulled this out of a barn in TN.

Truck pulled good, this is a massive car! I am keeping it stock for the most part, but with some safety improvements (tires, wheels, brakes). Haven’t done much to it yet but hoping to make it go vroom soon!Click image for larger version

Name:	4712C46B-F8A7-497C-A0DB-BB40C37BEB55.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	1306055Click image for larger version

Name:	23195241-AEED-4841-8063-6C72F429A1EE.jpeg
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	1306056Click image for larger version

Name:	0E487A42-1093-447E-961D-F995CF7C0197.jpeg
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	1306057Click image for larger version

Name:	C70F9FE0-A5C8-449F-9FEA-D51A05AA81C7.jpeg
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	1306058
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

What an absolute yacht!

Looks like it has the breezeway rear window, very nice. Does it have the "typical" cracked speedometer glass around the 55-ish mark?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Cool car! Are parts going to be an issue?
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I would encourage you to be a member of the Lincoln Continental Owners Club. I was a member for many years. My experiences with the shows, members and parts were positive. Parts should not be too hard to find. I believe the motor is a 430 cid. Good motor. Does it have the crank powered power steering pump ? Those were troublesome. Wish you the best with it.

Comment

Looks like it will clean up pretty nice.

I have always liked the Lincoln and Continental models from 56-60. I don't think one would fit in my garage. The guy that lived here before had a 47 Lincoln in there.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cool! Photos won't load on my computer for some reason. Looks like you towed with a '92 to '97 F series. Cool x2.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

hold CTRL when you click or right click on the attachments and open in new window. The overlay is broken.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

nice, the forgotten Mark IV

Are those tires smaller than they ought to be? Looks a bit odd in the front. Unless its just me hearing it cry out for wide whitewalls.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nice, the forgotten Mark IV

Are those tires smaller than they ought to be? Looks a bit odd in the front. Unless its just me hearing it cry out for wide whitewalls.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lincoln of that vintage ran 14 inch wheels until 1964. Then they went to 15 inch. I ran 225 x 70 or 75 x 14

Comment

That thing is sweet!
                        Congrats

Comment

Thanks for the tip, sly!

Tires are too small. Isn't much of the ride quality of yachts from that vintage due to tall sidewalls?
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It has tires that “hold air” for now. I am going to upgrade to 15” wheels, as there are a few options that fit/have the load range I am after.

I changed the oil yesterday (it was gross) and managed to get it to run off a gas can. Fuel pump leaks. Tank will need cleaned out. Carter AFB will need rebuilt. Have an exhaust leak somewhere. But it RUNS!
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Really nice that it runs.

I like the car very much.

Cruising in her will be a grand experience.

A funny to me observation was when I saw the pic of the front seats the first thought that came to me was it looks like you could Velcro your butt to those big seats for cornering. I am sure the insert is or was a very nice brocade but with a dark pic I just thought it was Velcro for second. Funny how minds work
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X