Mark VI smog pump bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark VI smog pump bypass

The smog pump on the Mark VI finally locked up tonight and broke the belt. Good riddance I say, it will be going away in the near future. My question is can I run a shorter belt and run the A/C or do I need a bypass pulley of some sort in place of the smog pump? Also where is the tensioner for that belt? If it's like the one on my '88 Grand Marquis was I feel like there was a bolt to loosen the tensioner pulley and another to adjust it? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Also if anyone knows the length of belt I'd need to bypass the smog pump it would be greatly appreciated.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Shorter belt and just run the bottom length of the belt over the tensioner pulley. Don't remember of the top of my head which length belt is the one to use though. It's listed in plenty of the smog delete threads though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

from my search, it looks like k060565 (56.5 inch). Wait for confirmation though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I used a 56,1" belt after the smog pump delete, I run the belt underneath the tensioner pulley.
        It could've been a slight bit longer, was kinda hard to get it on over the edge of the pulley with the tensioner completely loosened.
        For tightening the tensioner has a slotted bolt on the backside of the bracket, loosen that and the pivot point bolt on the front side, normal 3/4" square drive hole on the tensioner to tension it and tighten bolts.

Running the belt over the tensioner might be smarter for less belt bouncing, but I have it underneath the tensioner, since that's not putting weird stress on the tensioner. Dunno how, but I did somehow manage to bend the previous tensioner.

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Yeah, I ran it over because after the smog delete, having the belt running by that gaping hole just looked weird to me. If you are leaving the smog pump in place for a while, I think over is also better for clearances. It might clear, but I don't remember.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. The car is going in the garage for the winter next week. I’ll probably make the smog delete a project for a nice day that I’m off work.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Well I got the belt on on my lunch break 56-7/8" was the closest belt I could find in stock. I ended up running it under the tensioner, so far so good. I'm probably going to see how far I can get on deleting the pump itself after work tonight.

Comment

Smog delete complete, easier then I expected. I even put nice new bolts in the MAP sensor bracket.

Comment

Nice! Glad to hear it was an easy process.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Post pics, please! Might have to do that to my '88.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

@mercurygm88
                      Did you remove the smog pump before installing the belt? For me, running the belt under the tensioner would mean the belt would hopelessly run into the body of the smog pump.

@Derek
                      Can't you see the pic I attached in my previous post?
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Yah, I guess his would be a different version of the same thing, eh? Your post says you ran your belt under the tensioner too, looks that way as well. Anyone run it over the tensioner?

In any event, I'm excited to tidy up the engine bay some.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Post pics, please! Might have to do that to my '88.
                          I'll post a couple when I get the chance. I pulled the pulley off at work with an electric ratchet and installed the belt. Then I removed the pump, hoses, and solenoids when I got home. I don't know if the smog setup on SEFI cars is different but I feel like everything on the drivers fender of my '88 looked totally different. The smog pump on the '88 was slightly different as well it had vacuum hose running to the cruise control servo. The one on the Mark VI just had the 3/4" hose running up to the solenoids and check valves on the fender.

Also i know it's not correct and "unprofessional" but I also removed the plugs going to the two fender solenoids and the EEC III test port plug. I have no use for them and they just looked bad, so I cut them out and taped everything up. The only thing there now is the MAP sensor which I may relocate to clean the area up even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                            @mercurygm88
                            Did you remove the smog pump before installing the belt? For me, running the belt under the tensioner would mean the belt would hopelessly run into the body of the smog pump.

@Derek
                            Can't you see the pic I attached in my previous post?
                            On mine half of the belt was rubbing the front edge of the smog pump pulley, so I grabbed an electric ratchet and removed the pulley.

Comment

yeah the pulley is pretty much in the path, but 3 bolts gets that out of your way. Same problem on Fox cars if you ever have to do it on one of those, but same fix.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X