Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intake to go with dual exhaust............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake to go with dual exhaust............

Who's done it on an Aero?

Aftermarket CAI or MZT?

MZT isn't really a bolt on because it involves re-programming the cars E PROM.

Going to dual exhaust and want to improve the air flow on the intake side.
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Performance Improved (2001+ style) intake manifold can help out a bit. Just gotta do a little extra work to make it fit properly since the nPI heads have different shaped cooling ports that need a little RTV run around them when you set the gaskets down. I've done that conversion on a '99 when the craptastic Dorman intake on it logged off life.

Skip the cold air intake, your factory air intake already pulls air from directly behind the headlight. Putting a cone filter in the engine bay is just gonna pull hot air.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-54-...dp/B001ABMZ88/
      There was zero power increase. It does allow more induction noise though. That's about it. It sucks louder. This will be the case for anything really. Without a tune, you won't realize any gains.

Also, this is probably the only thing available for Aeros with the early aluminum intake. The later aeros can use the whale stuff. Not sure if they can use the throttle bodies and elbows, but everything for stock size TB for intake tube should work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-54-...dp/B001ABMZ88/
        There was zero power increase. It does allow more induction noise though. That's about it. It sucks louder. This will be the case for anything really. Without a tune, you won't realize any gains.

Also, this is probably the only thing available for Aeros with the early aluminum intake. The later aeros can use the whale stuff. Not sure if they can use the throttle bodies and elbows, but everything for stock size TB for intake tube should work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm looking at this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33235377026...Bk9SR4bNweSHYQ

Comment

In my humble opinion, these "cold air" intakes do very little if anything at all as far as benefits are concerned. Just make sure you have a clean air filter, no leaks in the intake hoses and be done with it!
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

that ebay filter is not going to do much. It may offer less filtration allowing more air but it won't have the cold air function of the stock intakes.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

@ Kevs97GM: Yeah, like other members have said, that's a hot air intake. Don't do it.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

OK. Thanks for the input.

Paper element or cotton/gauze/reusable?

Comment

Are you talking about an air filter? I like the OEM (big surprise, right?) or a real quality aftermarket.
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Yep, an air filter.

Which is best for the 4.6?

Comment

Yep, an air filter.

Which is best for the 4.6?

Comment

I've always just slapped any decent quality paper element in my stuff and sent it.

Motorcraft, Wix, Baldwin, Purolator.... take your pick.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Well, since I'm probably not going to keep the car very long, I went down the middle of the road.

Fram LLA5056 SynWash Reusable/Washable.

Comment

A decent quality paper filter work well. Wix, Fram xtra guard, Purolator and Mann seem to be top paper filters.

Comment

Working...
                              X