Pulling codes EEC III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling codes EEC III

I thought some here might enjoy seeing this. I've previously read about this but had never actually seen it done. This video shows the interesting and odd method of retrieving codes on EEC III CFI. I realize this was quite advanced at the time but it's truly archaic by today's standards. Most of what I've read says to use an analog multimeter and count the needle sweeps. I met an old Ford tech the other day who fondly remembers working with EEC III, he said if I think it's bad I should've been around for EEC II on the Lincoln Versailles. Knock on wood my EEC III CFI has been perfect except for having to replace the original ignition module shortly after buying the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puAEJ3BYFeY
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

That is definitely not what I am used to with the EEC IV.

I tried to pull codes on my 82 Vic with the VV. I'm guessing it was EEC II? I? Anyway, it had a diagnostic connector like the EEC IV. Followed the directions with the Actron code scanner but got nothing. That car was a interesting one. It had the high altitude package, which used a barometric pressure sensor on the drivers side fender well to adjust timing via an oddball Duraspark box. Someone removed the baro sensor before I got it. Car ran rich and couldn't figure why, but I couldn't find a baro sensor for it. I just tied up the enrichment rod on the carb and it was fine.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

82 with a VV should’ve been EEC III. For CFI EEC III was 80-83. I know it was also used on some VV cars. He found the test port after making the video it’s in the description. It’s just a two wire plug you put a jumper in. OBD I didn’t start until 84 Asha as far as I know the only actual scan tool for EEC III is the Ford rotunda scan tool.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

Those EEC's, back in the day, were quite fun. Had a '77 Granada but don't remember which version of EEC was in it. If anyone knows please tell. Anyway, it was a 4 door 302 V8 with a C4 trany (if I remember correctly). Would probably still be running if the northern snow/salt/sand didn't rot it out underneath!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
          Those EEC's, back in the day, were quite fun. Had a '77 Granada but don't remember which version of EEC was in it. If anyone knows please tell. Anyway, it was a 4 door 302 V8 with a C4 trany (if I remember correctly). Would probably still be running if the northern snow/salt/sand didn't rot it out underneath!
          Here's the Wiki For EEC. There are some things it doesn't break down like the difference between EEC I and EEC II but it's fairly informative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EEC

Comment

Thanks for the info - very informative! Still wondering if my old Granada had a II or III?
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I was able to get codes out of my old MCU (had the 7200VV). Part of the test procedure had you stick a pipe on the intake and bang it with a hammer to test the knock sensor...lol

I have a picture of it but GMN is so broken I cant even post it =/
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

any time there are factory instructions that include hitting things with a hammer it makes me smile
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X