Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good info on an upgraded ignition coil......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info on an upgraded ignition coil......

According to the manufacturer (Standard Motor Products), the difference between the SMP FD-487 and the SMP FD-487T is this:

The SMP FD-487 is their premium-quality coil, with brass high-voltage terminals, copper-wire windings, and a higher output than OEM being among the main features.
    SMP FD-487 coils tested 3.7% higher than OE in output voltage, and were equal to OE in spark energy.
    In waveform testing, the peak output voltage was about 1000 volts higher than OE, with a longer spark duration, resulting in more energy supplied to the spark plugs.
    The SMP FD-487 coils match or exceed the OE coils in all categories and are an excellent replacement exceeding the OE performance.

The SMP FD-487T is their "economy" model that fits and works OK, but it doesn't have the high-end features -- and is sold at a reduced price.
    Amazon sells both of these coils, so the choice is yours -- get the cheap-o FD-487T, or go for the better features and performance of the FD-487.
    I tested both models of the SMP coils, and the lower resistance of the SMP FD-487 indicates a higher-voltage output to bring better performance and mileage to your engine at a reasonable price.
    This is a case where you really do "get what you pay for" -- and I chose the slightly-higher-priced SMP FD-487.

The SMP FD-487 is cheaper than the Motorcraft DG530 at Rockauto.
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

This is true (or comparable) of most Standard products - the part number is generally made available as a T and non-T version, and the T-series part is the cheaper/economy/shorter warranty part.

In some cases, such as ECT/ACT sensors, there is no discernible difference between the parts at all and I think the only basis for the difference in price is that the warranty is shorter.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I have had no problems with the non "T" Standard parts. Many are still made in USA as a bonus. Often Standard is an OEM supplier.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I just recently purchased one of their Blue Streak coils to accompany the new distributor I stabbed in my '89 K1500. Good thing I bench tested it in the box, it was DOA.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
        X