Early Doors/mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Doors/mirrors

Does anyone know if they earlier boxes with the sail mirrors have different window glass? Looking to possibly get one as a replacement door. Also how hard is it to transfer/adapt the newer style mirror to the old one? I know there's an inner support, does this have to but cut out and spot welded in?

Thanks!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Yes, the windows are different for the cars with the aero mirrors. The window doesn't go behind the mirror as it would with the doors without vent windows and the later mirrors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Got it, I was going to switch my manual windows over. I assume that won’t be a problem though?
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I think the hardware is the same, just the dimensions of the window and the rails are different. I could be wrong about the hardware though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

As long as my hardware will bolt in that’s the most important thing. I know I’ll have to cut some holes for the newer style mirrors
          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I am interested in hearing about the inner mirror support for the mirror (newer style mirror). I recall the bracket that has the nutserts for the mirror hardware but don't remember an inner support. Curious.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That's what i am referring to- I looked at the instruction of that mirror you posted on interesting finds, and took my mirror off...it's super simple. drill 4 holes, and the bracket/support bracket just bolts on with a small bolt...no spot welding required
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I don't think the aero/whale mirrors have the correct angle to wedge into the corner and they have a MUCH larger mounting triangle.

I may still be misunderstanding what exactly you're referring to as well. I'm thinking you're trying to use 79/80 aero mirrors on your S?

Comment

I don't think the aero/whale mirrors have the correct angle to wedge into the corner and they have a MUCH larger mounting triangle.

I may still be misunderstanding what exactly you're referring to as well. I'm thinking you're trying to use 79/80 aero mirrors on your S?

Comment

Oh no, I’m getting a rust free door from a 79 that has the one or two year sail mirror on it. It doesn’t have the mounting holes for the standard box mirror, so I have to drill the holes to mount it
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Any chance you have the passenger side sail mirror as well? Would like pics of the inner workings as I want to retrofit the p/s sail to my non-mirror door.

Comment

No, the passenger side has the more modern box mirror. But I should be able to send you pictures of the inner workings of the driver side sail mirror. If you converted you’ll need the glass from a door with a sail mirror as well. Or have it custom cut
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

AH! You're REMOVING said sail mirror and mounting the other parts to the door. Gotcha. Yeah... you're gonna have to transfer damn near everything over from your door.

Comment

Working...
                          X