Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Time Lurker from Missouri - 86 MGM

Hello everyone,

My name is Scott and I've been lurking around the forums for about a year and a half. Finally worked up the motivation to post.

I have a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis I bought in February of 2021. Paid all of $1800 for it. I was a weird kid in high school and wanted a car like this back then, but could never seem to find a good one for sale. Now, a decade and a half later, I've got one, and I'm quite fond of it.

It has about 139k miles on it, had about 134k when I bought it. In the time I've owned it I've done a full tune up, had the transmission rebuilt, had a catback dual exhaust system built, and replaced the most obviously leaking vacuum hoses. Still needs some things, like new rear window motors. Well, one at least, I replaced the bushings in it last year, but the motor has just fully died now.

I don't have any current pictures, because for some reason I just never seem to take any. But I will share some from the listing I found it on, and a couple from when I brought it home. She looks much the same now, just with new tires and a set of full hubcaps off of a late 70's Mercury Marquis. Been on the lookout for some Mercury dog dishes, but I've not found a set yet.

I'm currently in the middle of re-seam sealing the trunk edges, along with taking care of some surface rust in the trunk. I have the whole back end of the car off at the moment, and the tail lights are apart and sitting next to me as I type this, waiting for me to finish masking them up to repaint the silver/chrome details on them.

I look forward to sharing more of what I'm doing to the car in the future. I do plan on creating a reader's rides thread as soon as I have some more up to date pictures to share.
    Attached Files

I do appear to be having a bit of trouble with images/editing and the forum at the moment. Please forgive the multiple posts
    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome, and nice car!

I was also the weird kid who wanted a Crown Vic in high school, and I feel like a bunch of us were that kid at some point.

As for your difficulties with image posting, you've joined us in the midst of us trying to resolve some issues with the site, so please bear with us patiently. You may expect to see improvements soon.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I WAS the kid with the Crown Vic in high school. And college. They were/are perfect for hauling friends, scratching my V8 itch, and not actually being powerful enough to get me into trouble.

Welcome aboard!
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

My '97 took me through high school and college, and even after 11-1/2 years, I've still got it and only added to the fleet.

Glad to see another Marquis owner, and welcome to the forum!

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Nice ride. Like the boring beige on beige!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice car. Your door panels look like the same as the 82 and earlier models. Did not think they used that type on the later models.

Comment

Welcome Scott! Dumb question but were you the guy that I spoke with in the Harbor Freight parking lot on my way out last week? I was driving my dark blue 2000 Grand Prix.
                These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Welcome! Love the beige!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Welcome! Always happy to see another box person on the forum. Nice car, I love the beige.

You know, a Mercury is a real good car...
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                      Nice car. Your door panels look like the same as the 82 and earlier models. Did not think they used that type on the later models.
                      I was thinking the same thing.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice Merc!

I was just straight up weird in high school.

Comment

VERY NICE car, especially for the price you paid. If you wish you could add the hood ornament to finish up the look from the front.
                          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Super late coming back around, sorry everyone. Adult college student kept me busy til mid-December, then the holidays took over.

Yeah, the door panels are something I just can't explain myself, I know they're not quite right for the '86 cause I couldn't find anything else like them when I was looking at the time. Probably got swapped out at some point, though I don't see why they would be, but the woodgrain matches the dash, and honestly, I like them better anyway.

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                            Welcome Scott! Dumb question but were you the guy that I spoke with in the Harbor Freight parking lot on my way out last week? I was driving my dark blue 2000 Grand Prix.
                            Way out of date now, but if it was the one in St. Charles, and I was the ding dong in a sport coat, then yes, that was me.​

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                            VERY NICE car, especially for the price you paid. If you wish you could add the hood ornament to finish up the look from the front.
                            I actually got a hood ornament for my birthday last month. It's not the right one for the car, much like the door panels, but that's OK, I don't much care for the upright Mercury hood ornament anyway. It doesn't fit quite right as it sits right now, but I've got plans to sort that out in the coming months, I just wanted it on the car. It's off of a '74 Torino I believe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Ornament 01.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1385022

I'm working out a way to design a base for it that combines the Torino's width and opening, with the GM's length and bottom curvature. Still in the planning stages though.

And here's a picture of the car it sits today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercury 01.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1385021

Comment

Man, I'd love to rock that as my daily. Love, love, love me some earth tones. Dig the wheel covers too.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X