Mercury door lock cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury door lock cylinders

I know this is the engine forum but it gets the most traffic, so I'll plead guilty if I get charged with posting in the wrong place.

My driver's side door lock cylinder is warning me of its pending doom, so I'd like to replace it before I have to get in on the passenger side and do the crawl-through of shame.

Being a Mercury, it has the big square exterior bezel with the little courtesy light ring around the keyhole. I've never taken it apart - is the standard replacement/Crown Vic style lock cylinder underneath the lighted bezel?

It's extremely rare that it's the lock cylinder itself. It's usually the lock actuator that's binding up. The lock actuator is directly linked to the lock cylinder and there is no slip mechanism like in the aero and whale actuators.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No doubt that it’s rare but by the feel of it I’m very sure it’s the lock cylinder. A gentle wiggle of the key and it turns easily.

Comment

Ah... that issue. May be a worn out key or a worn out pin in the tumbler. They can be rebuilt, but you're probably pretty relegated to JY replacement if the issue is actually in the tumbler. Sometimes some wd-40 followed with some proper lube will flush out any burrs and fix the hang-ups. In fact, it could be a pin hanging up in the tumbler and the jiggle gets it to drop into the correct setting on the key. If you haven't already, try a little lube. I typically use white lithium grease for those since the lube will stay up in the pins a little better. Others may have other suggestions.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I use Houdini Spray Lube. Works like a charm!
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

As an aside, post are showing up with the incorrect hour (5:12 is showing up as 6:12). I think this has happened before and there is something I need to do but don't remember.

Comment

In user settings, change the time zone or check adjust for DST or something like that. I always ignore the time stamps myself.

Comment

Just gave it a shot so we'll see how it works. Don't want, however, to hijack this thread.

Comment

No doubt that it’s rare but by the feel of it I’m very sure it’s the lock cylinder. A gentle wiggle of the key and it turns easily.
                  Is the key just worn out? Measure the depths - specs are .208, .188, .168, .148, and .128, as measured from the bottom of the groove on the opposing side. (Assuming this is '89 or earlier)

To the original question, I vaguely recall that the lighted bezel is part of the lock cylinder assembly and not a separate piece, but it's been a long time since I've seen one.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                  1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                  1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Not sure any OEM replacements are still around. Probably only Chinese knock offs and it they are one piece, with the bezel, good luck! What year/model are you looking for? If you can't find one I would look for a good locksmith (NOT a key maker) to repair the one you already have if a good lube doesn't work. He/she could then make a new key and you should be all set. This is all assuming the lock actuator or linkage are not issues.

Comment

I'm sure you tried the key both ways? One of my cars the one side of the key is worn more than the other. Sometimes I have to flip the key over to unlock the door. The Lighted lock cylinders are left and right specific. 89 down are square, 90-91 have rounded edges. I have lots of lock cylinders,(with keys) if anybody needs them. WagonMan
                      89 Colony Park
                      90 Colony Park
                      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I considered that the key might be worn but I don’t have any trouble on the passenger side. My car is an 89 so it’s the big square one. There are a couple good locksmiths in my town so maybe I’ll give that a try. Failing that I might just go to the round style.

Comment

Probably a worn cylinder but I'd lube it and the linkage if you feel like getting to it. Good locksmith is the next move if you are sure the actuator is working well.

Comment

I've never done a door cylinder but having done ignition cylinders I can't imagine its all that hard. More fussy than anything, the pins and springs are small and easily lost or damaged.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I considered that the key might be worn but I don’t have any trouble on the passenger side. My car is an 89 so it’s the big square one. There are a couple good locksmiths in my town so maybe I’ll give that a try. Failing that I might just go to the round style.
                              The passenger side has almost no wear on the pins either. Pin wear and key wear combined on the driver's side can be a cause of the problem you describe.

Having a new key accurately cut is the easiest thing to try (and your trunk lock will probably be happier too).

The past few vehicles I've bought, I've had keys cut to code soon after purchase to prevent issues like this.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                              1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                              1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Working...
                              X