This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D models for printing unobtanium parts

I'm making this thread for printing off parts that are unobtanium.

I'm starting with the Aero/Whale door striker bushing. I will print this out next week and make sure it fits.

http://www.grandmarq.net/sly/3D/Ford...etric_Bolt.stl

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Couldn't view the part - "Invalid Public Key"
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

It's an STL (mesh) file. You will need 3D printing/modeling software to see it. The 3D paint program in Windows 10 should be able to render it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I'm still using Windows 7 (heh, it still works great). Wonder if there is a conversion program for that type of file. What type of material are you printing them with?

Comment

download FreeCAD. It will open STL files.

Comment

Also, Windows 7 will still upgrade to Windows 10 for free (if you want). Download the media creation tool from M$ and when it asks what you want to do, select "upgrade this PC". I've done this a few times at work over the past couple of years... well after when it was supposed to be disabled.

Comment

Been thinking about it but the computer is from 2008 (or so) - not sure how well and even if Windows 10 will like it. Too many projects to play with it now but it is on my "possible to do list"! As far as costs, I believe you can still do it for free.

Comment

Downloaded FreeCAD and was able to open the file. Looks good and many thanks for the program info!

Comment

Had to change the length by .5 mm shorter. The curve of the bolt to the head doesn't let it fit quite right. I'll upload that at lunch. The current one can be ground down 0.5mm and work fine or take a countersink or half inch bit and shave a bevel in that end.

Comment

Ok. Final version in place.

Also, any models posted will be added to the top post.

Comment

Ok. Final version in place.

Also, any models posted will be added to the top post.

Comment

Working...
                      X