Door actuator(sp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door actuator(sp)

Ok so I am tired of dicking around with the drivers door on my '86 MGM Tudor!

I need to replace the actuator, any suggestions as to where to purchase a new one? In the summer the door is live-able, but in the cold temps, forget it, will not open.

Thanks for the suggestions.

They have plenty of aftermarket ones on EBAY but here is a supposed OEM. Do you know how to remove and replace? Have to drill out the rivet (assuming it is the original or replaced like it) and then re rivet or use a bolt to replace the rivet. There should be some videos on YOUTUBE for that, Here is the link for the part:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27348372176...Bk9SR8a6lPaVYQ
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

do you care if the power door lock works on the driver's door? If not, just unhook it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's one way to go and simply use the key. If so, you can use a dremel and just cut the rod of the actuator.

Comment

easier to just unhook it like its being replaced, and simply not replace it. Getting a dremel in there to cut the rod is pretty inconvenient.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Haven't done it on an '86 but did one on a 96 (rear door, though) and it was easy and not difficult to get to. On the 86 and on the front you may be correct but then it would eliminate the need to drill it out unless there is a way to unhook it in place (but I'm not sure how).

Comment

iirc the motor can be removed from its plastic bracket. You may want to keep the rod so it can become power again.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Guess you can try to pry it out of the bracket with a screwdriver but getting in there and getting enough leverage may be interesting. Not sure how much room there will be but maybe there is.

Comment

it sucks, but its possible. Getting them back in is more miserable. I pretty much gave up on it and just bought the proper rivets and a rivet gun to pull them. Makes replacing them a lot easier than farting around trying to shove it back in the bracket or using nuts and bolts. Bonus if its a plastic bracket that snaps.

Comment

That is what I did eventually as well. After doing the first few the harder ways.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Being a Tudor, just unhooking it and having a manual driver's side door isn't so bad.

I've had mixed results with both OEM (It was NOS though...) and aftermarket. How are your dew wipes? If they're shot, water will just rain down on the new actuator and eventually seize it up as well.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

True enough about the dew wipes. If you are not in a shop and the weather is not good, I'd still cut the rod and fix it properly in the Spring!

Comment

yeah the water dumping on them is a killer. There is supposed to be a little flap down inside the door that helps divert that too but that is also usually gone or nearly gone.

The aftermarket actuator boots don't fit great so they tend to get water down inside. Could probably fix that with some silicone to seal the gap up.

Comment

yeah the water dumping on them is a killer. There is supposed to be a little flap down inside the door that helps divert that too but that is also usually gone or nearly gone.

The aftermarket actuator boots don't fit great so they tend to get water down inside. Could probably fix that with some silicone to seal the gap up.

Comment

+1 on the water damage. My friend's Tempo had them wiped out due to deteriorated dew wipes. We didn't even bother replacing them as he doesn't want to deal with trying to find and install new wipes. It is something serious to consider.

Comment

Working...
                              X