Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess who is back... 97 CVPI

Hey guys! Long time no see.

Let me be concise: I have been looking for the right panther for a while. I test drove an 04 Grand Marquis when instead I bought an 08 Taurus. Regretted that decision. Finished school. Got degree. Went over to an 09 Kia for a while. Bought house.

Now we are here.

Say hello to my new Crown Vic: https://imgur.com/a/EjlKqzp

Clean civilian package Vic. About 162K on the clock for a 97 isn't terrible. 3.23 rear gears in a traction I bought the Zip Tube / 80MM Maf / Airbox within about 45 minutes of picking up the car.

What I do need to know ... who makes headers for these cars? I can't find any. Even shorties that require a bit of massaging works for me.

Hard to find a clean aero P71 these days. Nice score!
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What are your plans for the driver's seat? The others look "cleanable".
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Welcome back. Nice CVPI. Looks like my 96 except mine is blue inside. Interesting that the spot light is the plastic body type. We started using the plastic in 98. Mine still has the chrome. Someone here just put seat covers on their CV, ordering Taurus buckets and CV rear. Said it cost about $300. Looks real good.

Comment

Here's your headers--> https://adtr.net/product/ford-crown-...d-pipes-92-02/
          These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I was hoping there was an option that didn't cost almost as much as the car did for headers Q.Q Maybe modifying mustang shorties and then using one of the x pipes with a little material in the middle? I am doing some research on this now.

As for the seats, I do not know yet - seeing as my butt will be in the seat most of the time - until I can find a way to reupholster the seat I may leave it be.

Tagging it here on tomorrow so I will get some road test while I wait to sell the Grand Prix behind it. I remember there was some way to make maurader tips work on the aeros but I do not remember how. I also want to get it a bit closer to the ground. All things rattling around in the back of my head from college when I had my town car but no monies.

Comment

Maybe some decent seat covers just for the fronts after a good cleaning will get you by?
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Time for my 6 month update.

They made me the big honcho at work so I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Car has been great. It is currently fighting the poly bushing install tooth and nail with me - put in civi springs front/rear. Still thinking about lobbing off an inch but I am going to let the suspension settle first.

Putting some glasspacks in for temporary until I make the exhaust larger to add some growl.

Picked up some SVT wheels and wrapped them with new rubber for once the suspension is back together.

Looking for some stock PI cams and the ford racing intake.

Need to get seat covers still to recover the fronts - also need some bluetooth for the tunage.

I get about 25 mpg running the highway at 80 w/the ac on. Anyone know how bad 4.10's eat up gas mileage? Probably will be doing the JMOD next paycheck as well.

Comment

https://imgur.com/a/3jedL5j

Picture of the wheels test fit. The adapters aren't on yet.

Comment

Howdy all,

Got the new springs, shocks, pitman arm, idler arm, hubs, brakes, tie rods, spacers, wheels & tires installed.

Here is a pic in the dark:

https://imgur.com/AWF7kHq

Took 4 times for the alignment shop to finally get the alignment done correctly.

Did a coolant flush today really quick before heading to OKC on Monday.

Whew its been a long weekend.

https://imgur.com/AWF7kHq

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nice project. I'm parting out a 97 and it has really nice seats. PM if interested

88 Country Squire
                        86 Colony Park, non-op'd
                        89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Comment

So after about 1000 miles of road testing here is what I have:

I must have a tweak in my A Arm or something as after 5 times on the rack it still pulls to the right. I am 100% completely done with the alignment shop its been to - I think I am going to try to find a new one.

The poly bushings firm the shit out of the ride - but the 17's make it even more firm. I wouldn't do the poly bushings unless you were expecting to go down on tire size from the 15's-16's

Really kicking myself for not doing the big brake swap while everything was apart but the brakes still work great, just look a bit small.

Weather is milding out so I am looking for an aftermarket plenum to put on the PI intake I have w/a 70mm TB. Might give up and run the American Muscle BBK knockoff.

The exhaust is incredibly restrictive. I did not realize ID of the pipe at some points were 1 5/8s in size. This needs to be opened up significantly.

I have a T-45 core, looking for a rebuilder. No idea when that would be going in - if at all. Who knows (not I).

Doing rear end work this weekend (rear springs, bushings, and shocks) now that it is not 1900* F outside at 9 am.

Outside of that & my speedo being off, has been great riding around. Definitely looks better.

Comment

probably not this but can you rotate the tires?
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It did it on the 15's that I pulled off as well

Comment

Working...
                              X