I will not get screwed a second time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will not get screwed a second time!

So many of you remember that last year the battery in my '86 MGM Tudor was continually going dead, and I mean deader than my balls (and that is indeed dead ). So for a time I was removing he battery cable so that I would not come back to a dead car. That got old fast!. Due to suggestions from many of you here, I learned that a weak point on the car is the rear defog grid switch, meaning that even if off the switch would still drain the battery until dead! I was able to find a purported new NOS one on E-Bay.
    I put the switch in and for the last year.......no problems.

So today I went out to start the car............yep, dead F-ing battery!.......and I mean DEAD..........no horn no radio no nothing!
    After AAA showed up to boost me, I sat in the car and thought this is total BS.........not wanting to go through this again, I removed the wire feed to the defog switch. Now, when I go back to the car two things will be in play......one, battery dead again, which means a drain not related to the defog switch, two, the culprit was the switch.......and you know what????? F-it, I will not seek and find another, will just live without the rear defogger!

If the issue is at that switch, perhaps the switch is not the problem and you have a wiring short.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Maybe, but all of a sudden?? Lets see what happens in a few days when I go to start the car again.

Comment

Newer batteries often suck after a year or so. I've had several go bad with dead cells. Hope you get it figured out.

They do make an automatic battery drain switch. Not recommending this particular one over any other, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/PriorityStart...s%2C136&sr=8-2
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If you are going to go in this similar fashion, you could get one of those battery terminals with a throw switch which would be a lot cheaper and less grief. You should also get one of those battery jump starters like this. I have them and they work GREAT! Keep one in the car and keep it charged when need be and you're all set.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Comment

Many thanks gents, as the NYC winter is setting in the last thing I want is to diking around with stupid things.

Comment

Get one - keep it charged (USB if the one I suggested) and you WILL be thanking me many times over. It WILL save a lot of grief.

Comment

Agree with the above, your situation is the perfect candidate for one of those boost packs. I would suggest going with the larger one (GB60 I think) if funds permit and size isn't an issue.

Comment

The GB 60 (? - they do make a 50, 70 etc) might be overkill (not that it would hurt) but to save a few bucks and still get the job done you can easily go with the model I suggested. This would be the best solution until you can track down the issue (assuming you still wish to).

Comment

Gents I picked up a Noco GBX45, LOL..........I got it for free!!.............how?????........I had no idea my credit card had all these unused points........so, the points covered the booster and a nice hard case!

Comment

If I really want to use the rear de-fog grid can I have my bud just wire it with a simple toggle switch that can hang under the dash, nothing fancy.??

Comment

That model is like $125 on Amazon - this should serve you VERY well. As far as the switch, yes a toggle switch, wired up properly should be fine. The original one shouldn't be "hot wired" so there should be no issues wiring around it.

Comment

I would use a fused relay or circuit breaker on the defroster grid, i think thry pull a fair amount of amps

Comment

*they*

Comment

Actually, a circuit breaker/fused relay is an excellent idea. They do pull a decent amount of power

Comment

Working...
                              X