Tired of F-ing with the drivers side door lock:-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of F-ing with the drivers side door lock:-(

Ok on my '86 MGM Tudor the drivers side door (especially in the cold) lock will not open. Pass side yes.
    From what I have leaned again from many here the actuator is shot or almost shot.
    Ok, what is involved for me to R&R this device inside the door?.......any special tools?......best to do in a warm garage as opposed in the street?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Always best to do indoors. Haven't you mentioned you have a buddy, on the Island, that does car repairs? If so, have him do it right (full part replacement) with a rivet or bolt and locking nut. If you have to do something yourself, outside and unprotected, you still have to pull the door panel and despite what other have said, I'd still use a dremel to cut the rod and go after it properly when warmth returns!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

No special tools needed to just remove it. Gotta get the door panel off and then pull down off the bracket (flat screwdriver between the side post and the bracket can help pry it off - even easier with a 90 degree flat screwdriver). Then just unhook it from the latch (Z/S bar type, angle up as you pull it free). Unplug and leave the plug hanging. Done. Mechanism will feel really lose now when you use the key.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes, I will reach out to my bud and see what his schedule is. Where would be a good place to get a new one? Ford OEM???

Comment

I like the OEMs - EBAY should have them. This is just one seller - there may be others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27348372176...Bk9SR4bUz92aYQ

Comment

LOL spoke to my bud who has replaced maybe a dozen of these over the years, and also had a Merc wagon that suffered from this condition. He said he would get a new replacement and put it in the correct way via drilling out the rivets and using a rivet gun to set the new one, also use as you guys said a dremel tool. Thanks again for the education.

Comment

Just trying to make it easier for you as it may already be "nippy" in The Big Apple!

Comment

Is is now the Big Rotten Apple ?

Comment

It has had "worm holes" for many, many years!

Comment

Tom ROTTEN to the F-ING core!!!!! CRIME OOC!!!!

Comment

Time to think about moving? Perhaps to a warmer climate? No place is perfect but NYC? Gave up on it decades ago!

Comment

I did 2 actuators on the '90 without drilling out the rivets, it isn't that hard. Biggest thing is the hassle getting the door panels off without dicking everything up.

Comment

Working...
                        X