A-Pillar Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-Pillar Rust

Does anyone know where the water comes from that seeps between the A-pillar metal and rots it out? I've cut it open and tried pouring water in various nearby areas with no luck. When it rain water comes out of those seams for sure
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Should be in the wiper cowl IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Could also be from the windshield gasket.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

yeah pretty sure its the wiper cowl. It drains down to the A pillar area. Anything running down the windshield sheds to the outer corners and runs down there too.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So it does appear to drain down over top of it, but somehow water is getting inside the metal of the wiper cowl (where it shouldnt be) and goes between the sheet metal pieces and rots it out. I wish i could attach a picture to show what I mean
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

attachments still work so far as I know, have to use the 'go advanced' thing
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              So it does appear to drain down over top of it, but somehow water is getting inside the metal of the wiper cowl (where it shouldnt be) and goes between the sheet metal pieces and rots it out. I wish i could attach a picture to show what I mean
              I know exactly what you are talking about. It is running down from somewhere on the inside and getting in the lap joint. My red '90 was a super clean rust free car, and yet it had the beginnings of rust through in this spot. Could be a windshield leak.

It would be really handy to be able to hack up this area on a scrap car and see what the hell the issue is, because of lot box body cars suffer from this. Really hard to get in there and understand how everything fits together unless you have a car with no windshield, dash, or driver's door.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I think it's triple layer metal issues. Just too many layers overlapping and not enough surface protection before welding and then there's no way to get into the area to protect the metal from rusting.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Exactly! The windshield was resealed a couple years ago (and done very well as i watched the guy do it), so i doubt its that. Im going to clean up and seal as many seams as i can with seam sealer and hope for the best
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

If you can, might shoot some rust converter down in there first.

Comment

Are there any screws or bolts that piece the a-pilar above that point? On the GM square bodies, the upper a-pillar rust that tends to form near the base of the windsheild is a result of the screws that hold on the stainless rain gutter trim. Water slowly seeps in there around the screw threads and it pools down there as it has no where to go and eventually you got a significant rust hole.

Comment

PIERCE the a-pillar.

Comment

I think there is a fender bolt somewhere in that area, rear corner of the fender right along the top, near the hinge ?

Comment

Try some thread sealer on the bolt threads in that case, might just be the culprit.

Comment

My '86 MGM suffers from the same ignominious fate on the passenger side A pillar. Its above the reveal molding, had it "fixed" some years ago, in one year the cancer returned. I just let it progress, nothing else I can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X