Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

08 TC elec cooling fan does not run, diagnose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

08 TC elec cooling fan does not run, diagnose?

Sitting stuck on a line the engine temp pegged. ASAP pulled into a spot. The engine fan was not on.

Engine cooled to normal then I drove it home in light to moderate traffic it did not get hot. From this I am AOK with thermostat functioning.

I did visually check the 50A cooling fan fuse. Looks good.

I spun the fan by hand and it moves freely.

The gauge worked and the idiot light as well.

I do have the manual and could get the diagnostic tree etc. But my time to work on anything is really constrained due to severe family issues at this time.

I hope there is a quick, 'It is usually this...' kind of thing solution.

There is this "cooling fan control module" mounted on the fan shield.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221206_150114[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1306066

Since the gauge worked I guess sensor is ok. Is there a second sensor to run the fan?

So quick way to figure this?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Remember "Hold CTRL & click on photo" to expand photo if necessary
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I guess it could also be a pcm issue but would not be my first guess though that is why I am asking for experiences.
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

The PWM Module on the fan is the most common failure point from what I've seen. I think they started using those in 03? Anyhoo... the PCM controls the fan. If power to the fan is good and the wires are ok, then most likely it's the motor windings or the PWM module. Unplug the fan from the module and check resistance. If you get around 0.4-0.6 ohms (something less than 1 - touch the meter leads together to make sure you subtract the meter's own resistance) then the fan motor should be fine. If that's the case, then it's most likely the fan control module. This is why I prefer the two speed fans (two wires to the motor - low through a resistor, high bypasses the resistor) as they're less prone to random failures like this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

On a '96, I once found a short in the wiring to the fan and fixed that. All was well. Can you apply 12 volts directly to the fan to make sure the motor is good? If that works, you can then work backwards (as time allows) to find the issue (relay, module, wiring, etc).
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks. When I proceed I will post back.

Maybe I could sneak out enough time tomorrow to check the motor windings. I was going to start checking for power etc while the engine was cooling but the darn Batteries got crusty in the brand new cheap vom I had added to the emergency tool kit. Guess I will keep them in a bag not in the meter. Though I needed a #0 Phillips to open the meter. fortunately my pocket knife had that.

In 2018 I had replaced ALL the hoses just because I was changing the coolant. Now I am glad as nothing opened up and peed all over the road.
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Does the control module require thermal grease or just a clean contact surface?
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

No. The back side is exposed to the fan and is the heatsink itself (fins and all). No grease. Clean, yes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks. did not want to find out while I was potentially installing it. The grease is one item I don't have in stock. Still can't get out to the vehicle for quick diagnosis.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Ok, yesterday I got someone to give me 45 minutes so I checked the car and grabbed a shower. Don't know which one I was happier about.

Both electrical plugs came off like butter. The one attaching hardware component is a #2 Phillips head screw located just below the upper connection socket. If they had used a hex or torx bolt this would have been a snap. Not that it was hard by an means just slightly inconvenient particularly as you could not quite go straight into the screw. The other end of the module is held in by two big flanges which insert into fan shroud. Easy Peasy.

The fan rung out at .4ohm. so good news there. Checked the leading plug for voltage first which was present (key Off), then for ground on the pin without voltage and low resistance so good on the supply side.

Ordered a STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RY1608 unit at local flaps. $169. (No more discounts for me as everyone I used to know is either retired or dead) $169 same day would have been OK as I wanted the car usable. On delivery then the part showed Made in China. Since I special ordered it I installed it. gently cleaned connectors and applied a light silicone film. Fan cycles AOK now. Thanks Sly. Very glad it was not the PCM or related wiring.

If I had known that the new part was China made I would have ordered the Motorcraft unit on RockAuto for $128 plus express shipping or possibly sourced at the dealer. Not that it will change the world but I sent an Email to Standard about the China made component. That was the first Standard brand high line part (not "T" series) made in China that I have come across. I am not really worried about short product life, as I would with Dorman or no-name, as likely Standard exercises good quality control but still....
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Too bad you had a time issue because Amazon has it for around $55 (would take a few days to get). Didn't check Summit or anyone else.

Comment

According to Amazon, this is made in the USA (not sure how accurate they really are about this).

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto.../dp/B00985AVPW

Comment

That is what I wanted.

This is what I got.Click image for larger version

Name:	20221210_174633[1].jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1290843

Note the new stick-on label
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Also on my screen it states "Does Not fit 08 Town Car" I guess I will have to be more judicious in using that Amazon feature since this part did not show for me when I originally searched Amazon for it. Came up with your link.Click image for larger version

Name:	20221210_175632[1].jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1290844
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Yeah... do NOT trust Amazon's part fitment. Find the part number you need and then search amazon for that part number.

Comment

Working...
                              X