Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting CFI performance tidbit i found

LTD LX site

CFI cars at full throttle ran lean on the front cylinders & rich at the back! The Fix should work on LX's too!
    fixing the above issue

The Fix!

Another Binnie discovery! According to a book he has, the high velocity Gas coming out of the CFI injectors when hitting the Butterflies, is directed more to the rear cylinders causing the front cylinders to run lean during full throttle operation! This may be happening due to the Butterflies not centered (design requirement) & not fully vertical at full throttle.

Interesting to note that I have always had some "pinging" at full throttle even running 91 octane, while the Fairlane's SEFI (port injection) 90 Roller motor (same long block) never pings with 89 Octane! Also a few years ago, I asked Edelbrock if their Performer would work with the CFI & they wouldn't recommend it! Seems to be something to this.

The Factory Fix to even up the flow was to add a 20% Deflector Plate!

It was a thin SS plate with a gasket on either side. It was a straight "knife" edge, sticking our about 1/4" from the back of the bore.

Hard to find, not all Police cars had them as it apparently was a late fix during the 85 production run. None yet on other none "HO" 5.0 CFI cars.

Interesting in that the V6's have a horse-shoe shaped deflector edge with the open end to the center. It is a one piece molded plastic sticking out about 0.1".

Picture & more info to follow.
    i don't know if this is common knowledge or not but hey, its CFI tech :P
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

interesting!!! I ping as well with any gas.

Thanks paul, Imma look into this
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Mine would ping too, till I adjusted timing to compensate. Maybe this would be something to look into... Did lose a bit of power with the timing change.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

:bump:
        any news?
        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

:bump::bump::bump:
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I read all the info, but never saw anywhere to aquire one....
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Any one have a pic of the deflector plate?
              2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
              X