PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: {Transmission}Trans problems

Default {Transmission}Trans problems

Well, when I was driving the car earlier the trans started downshifting very HARD. I dont know wtf was going on with it, but it was bad. I felt every gear. I got to the nearest gas station and checked the fluid, less than a half qt. low. okay, I filled it up. Shifts fine. I havent found any leaks, no drips on my parking space. Slow leak maybe. Why was it shifting wierd? Anyone? Think I should risk it and change the fluid, since I dont know when it was changed last? It's still red and clean looking, but I dont know. Bad things happen if it hasnt been changed lately.

My Name is Fudge Flapjack.

Before you drive anywhere else make sure the TV cable is attached at both ends (trans and TB). If it is, take it somewhere that will adjust the cable for free, or do it yourself if you're brave.

I drove about 20 miles after I filled it up. It's shifting fine. I think it was just the fluid level maybe, but it could be something else? I dont see why it was low though, I see no signs of leakage.

change the fluid and filter, just dont dump the fluid out of the convertor......the aod holds 12 qts, doing a service usually takes 4-6 qts.......if you are worried, add a bottle of lube gaurd or lucas tranny treatment
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

My Name is Fudge Flapjack.

Yes yes, Lucas = teh win.

If it's shifting fine after you added the fluid, then that would be your best guess as to why it was shifting hard, unless I'm missing something.

-Jeff-
    My CarDomain Page
    2002 P74
    Arizona Beige
    20% Tints All Around
    Tinted Tailights
    Clear Corners
    Sound System
    Leather Interior

Yes it would. I just dont know where the fluid went. It doesnt leak. I dunno, I just thought it was weird.

Has-been that never was. Blaze86Vic's Avatar

If air bubbles get into the transmissions valve body and find its way into an accumulator, then all of your smooth shifts will disappear. The accumulators are simply shocks, that ease in clutch application so as to have a smooth shift, with air in it, it works about as well as a blown shock.