Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

{Transmission} Collection of tranny tech info.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Transmission} Collection of tranny tech info.

I'm starting this because many people have posted tid bits of info on trannies. Well here is a good location to collect them and not lose them.

For 4R70W, AODE, AOD, and WideRatio AOD build ups this info is very helpful.
    http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article80.html

First attached image: Overall ratio comparison between AOD and 4R70W.

Second attached image: Clutch Apply chart for the 4R70W, AODE, and yes the AOD has the same apply chart as the AODE.

For a WideRatio AOD build up this info is very helfull.

Also this place sells everything you will need to build or buy a 600hp capable tranny AOD.
    Linky...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-09-2006, 11:12 PM.

Found a great site with tolerance specs and everything.

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-...w_rebuild.html

Comment

That is great info blaze. Good work mang.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

If rebuilding your tranny. To get firmer more solid shifts set the Foward Clutch clearance to the tight end of the specs.

The foward clutch is the one located directly in front of the planetary gear.
        Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 01-31-2006, 04:15 PM.

Comment

great info. The MN12 site has a lot of good in depth info.

here is a neat calculator for MPH at a given RPM, tire size, trans and rear gear ratio.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I just checked the endplay on my WideRatio AOD, and it was 1.561". This is odd but not that odd. It's at the upper limit of the endplay trust washer selection limit. All the AODs that I have been in measured out to be dead center. Maybe this is something to look out for when building a WideRatio AOD, because it requires the blue thrust washer ".121" thick" I believe. It would take me 4-5 days to get one, but I did a local parts search and found a dealer that had one and it's beeing shipped over tomorrow.

Comment

Two things
              1) we should probably sticky this
              2) Actually it would be a great thing to have a tech article repository here so we could take stuff like this and keep it handy at all times without needing to clutter the forums.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's the idea here. Not for BSing, pure info collection.

Comment

Good posting. The LoL articles are pretty good and that link has been passed around the Ford world quite a bit- so it must be helping out a great deal.

I just received my TransGo shift kit from Summit today, and will install tomorrw. Hopefully, the kit will solve the erratic/ crappy shifting I've been experiencing...

Comment

I have heard of an update to the 4R70w gear set. Supposedly it's in the 2004 and up 5.4L F series pickups. It's a 4R75W gear set. This is a 50 ft*lb increase in the torque rating of the 4R70W.

I am having some trouble finding some good info on this, but when I do I will post some more updates ont his, and if/how to apply this to a wide ratio AOD. I know that the entire trannt can be swapped in place of a factory 4R70W.

Comment

Well, I have found some info on this 4R75W gear set, and it does exist. And the 04 up 5.4L F series is what they do come in. The ratios are the same as a 4R70W. I do not know if they are interchangable with the 4R70W. I have a feeling that it requires an internal parts swap just like going to the 4R70W.

Comment

Here's a great link to a great T5 write-up. Not sure if it'd fit here. ha!

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=7690
                        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Yes it does, this is any transmission technical info related to panthers.

Comment

I thought I would add this link, it's not so much tech info, even though there is plenty there. But it is a source for all the aftermarket and replacement parts you could want for an AOD

Linky...
                            Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 10-02-2006, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X