Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

{Transmission} AOD fix recomended for all!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Transmission} AOD fix recomended for all!

This is not some magic fix or anything, but something I come to take note of. The helper spring for the TV lever in the tranny has a habbit of falling out of it's reataining notch. I have now 3 times put the spring where it belongs and then when I open the tranny again it has fallen out. This spring helps to keep the TV pressure off of 0, by adding force in the direction of WOT. It falling of is in no way damaging to the tranny. However, I belive that if the TV cable were to pop off the lever at the tranny it would prevent the tranny from burning up. Even though this is not the common mode of failure in the TV cable, it is a good idea to be prepared for it. It is on every AOD, I'm not telling you to put a bigger spring on, effects of that are difficult to tell, but I know that it is supposed to be in notch and it keeps falling out. Fix is simple, the tab sticking outside of the notch should be bent towards the ground (when the tranny is installed). This will help to prevent the spring from coming out again. You don't have to go EXTREME on the bend, just a little (20* or so) should be enought.

That is very good advice thank you ! I will keep this in mind when i do my tranny fluid and filter change.

\'91 P72 Ford Crown Victoria 5.0L

Comment

good advice mang
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Hm you know I never looked at that before. Next time I have cause to open it up I'll check on that.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm really kind of baffled as to how they fall off, because the spring is pushing into that notch pretty damn hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
            It falling of is in no way damaging to the tranny. However, I belive that if the TV cable were to pop off the lever at the tranny it would prevent the tranny from burning up.
            I agree that if it "falls off", it won't damage the tranny, but you MAY get zero pressure at idle. I know it happened to me. At some stops, the tranny acted like it was in neutral. As the throttle opened, the pressure rose, but on some up-hill stops, there was no holding on the hill. Without the brakes, the car rolled backwards, and when the pressure rose, the car lunged somewhat harshly.

Second, if the TV cable were to pop off (on a TV cabled car - not a TV rod), it does not prevent the tranny from burning up. I know it happened to me. About $750 later, I had a tranny AND the brass TV bushing.

P.S. Mine didn't fall off. I forgot to put it back after I installed the shift kit (big oops!).

Your point is well taken - just had the tranny open today, and I bent it up as you suggested. An ounce of prevention . . . .
            Last edited by 89GrandMarquis; 03-05-2006, 11:20 AM.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

Stupid question but i've been wondering for a while, wtf does "tv" stand for in tv cable?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Throttle Valve
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

If the TV cable becomes disconnected, it runs at zero pressure all the time, which will blow the direct clutches and overdrive band from lack of pressure. Apparently the rod-actuated setups on CFI/carb cars work different, and when they come undone it goes to full pressure. Never looked at the mechanics of how those are rigged but I can tell you if you disconnect that cable on an EFI car, it will blow the transmission up from excessive clutch slipping. If the pressure is really low it'll make the trans shudder and buck and not downshift. My 88 Mark VII parts car had black and silver fluid from a missing tv cable bushing. It also had no second gear or overdrive, and would not downshift. I rigged the cable back into place to drive the car to pull the engine, and I got some of second back, I got downshifts, and it stopped shuddering. That car hauled ass in spite of the blown trans.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, the whole rod thing is wierd. When my grandpa had GL, he drove it for a long time with the TV rod unhooked, couldn't figure out why the trans was shifting wierd. To this day I don't know how long that rod was unhooked for.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 89GrandMarquis
                      Second, if the TV cable were to pop off (on a TV cabled car - not a TV rod), it does not prevent the tranny from burning up. I know it happened to me. About $750 later, I had a tranny AND the brass TV bushing.
                      I forgot to comment on this. I know that if the TV cable pops off the throttle lever it will burn the tranny up. But what I said was if it popped off of the TV lever @ the tranny. See, for some ignant reason, Ford put a nice heavy spring on the tranny end of the TV cable, pushing the TV lever to 0 pressure position at all times. The only thing acting against this is this tinny spring inside the tranny and the cable. If the TV cable popped off of the lever @ the tranny, then the only thing putting any force on the TV valve is this little spring inside. This is what I meant by it could prevent burning up the tranny.

Only thing I can figure is that Ford put that spring there for this exact reason, but unlike they thought, that is not the common mode of failure, but instead it is usually the TV cable that falls off the throttle, which leaves that heavy ass spring to force a 0 TV pressure situation.
                      Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 03-21-2006, 01:51 AM.

Comment

If you are brave enough to trust your tranny on a single 1/4" high-strength bolt and nut you can do this and never worry about the cable popping out of the TB plate:
                        Last edited by ; 02-05-2010, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                          If you are brave enough to trust your tranny on a single 1/4" high-strength bolt and nut you can do this and never worry about the cable popping out of the TB plate:
                          I see you utilized the brass fitting, but how did you rig a nut in place of the plastic post on the cable itself?

BTW, it's nice to see another person with the name Ivan!!

Comment

It's just a 12.9-class 6mm bolt that goes through that black steel plate, the brass bushing, a stainless steel washer, and the nut with the plastic friction ring. Now the cable is attached to the black steel plate via two high-strength 5mm bolts with a side hole in them (if you have a bike this is what holds the shifter cables to your derailers), the cable goes through both of them and when their nuts are tightened it gets tightly pressed againts the steel plate. There is also one more bolt with a side hole in it, this just hangs on the cable to prevent it from sliding out in case the two 5mm bolts loosen up - not really necessary, but I like things overkill The whole thing is a bitch and a half to adjust for TV pressure, but I trust it much more than the stock plastic crap.

About the name - I come from an ex-soviet country, it's pretty common for there.
                            Last edited by ; 03-22-2006, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                              It's just a 12.9-class 6mm bolt that goes through that black steel plate, the brass bushing, a stainless steel washer, and the nut with the plastic friction ring. Now the cable is attached to the black steel plate via two high-strength 5mm bolts with a side hole in them (if you have a bike this is what holds the shifter cables to your derailers), the cable goes through both of them and when their nuts are tightened it gets tightly pressed againts the steel plate. There is also one more bolt with a side hole in it, this just hangs on the cable to prevent it from sliding out in case the two 5mm bolts loosen up - not really necessary, but I like things overkill The whole thing is a bitch and a half to adjust for TV pressure, but I trust it much more than the stock plastic crap.

About the name - I come from an ex-soviet country, it's pretty common for there.
                              Interesting idea.......
                              I just use the brass bushing and clip, feels pretty strong.

Yeah, my parents are from Ukraine, so that's where I got Ivan......but, in this country you usually dont meet that many Ivans

Growing up in America, a common nickname for me was "Ivan The Terrible" or "Ivan Putsky"......I HATE the second one!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X