No announcement yet.

Tripminder install - (adding ECM pin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin, thanks!!! Those pics answered all my questions. Now for one last question. How exactly did you wire that loop in? Did you solder it?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I took the black loop from the EFI harness and put it in place of the of the black wire on the CFI harness. Those metal "slivers" that are on the end of the wires and stick into the plastic plug are held in by plastic clips. The black loop and black wire are on the same "sliver". I simply pulled them out of the EFI plug and slipped them into the CFI plug. Then, I tapped the original black wire (as can be seen in pics in other thread).

If you look through the end of the CFI's plastic plug, you'll see that the "port" for the black loop is empty. An easy way to do this is to find one of those "slivers" for the empty port. You'll probably need one that clips in and ensures contact with the TM. Check the ends of other plugs (clock, harnesses, etc.) and see if there is one you can steal from there. Probably have to hit the junk yard to find some extra "slivers" to fit.

Hope that helps.

Comment

:bump:

Thanks one and all, I successfully installed my Tripminder using my "modified" CFI Tripminder harness.

And in the process somehow I knocked off the spring for the gear indicator and didn't figure it out until the dash was back together.

Comment

So we have CFI and SEFI Tripminder install.

For future info, I have a VV car with a tripminder. It's possible that with a carb conversion, you could still use your tripminder. My car, after all, doesn't have an ECM. The Tripminder doesn't use any of the functions off of the MCU, either. I ran my car without the MCU and the tripminder still worked.

If anyone is interested, maybe I can open up my dash and check out how it's wired.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Tiggie, that would be a great help for some of the carb'ed members here.

Comment

Must have an in-line fuel flow sensor somewhere perhaps? Hmmmm.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was kind of wondering that myself. I want to one day put a carbed 351 in but i dont think i could stand loosing the tripminder.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I'll see if I can look into it next weekend, then.

BTW, it's accurate, however it gets it's information.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

BUMP for great justice...

And because I want this thread bookmarked in case I score a tripminder for this '87 wagon next weekend.
                    Alan Moore | Wichita Falls, TX
                    00 Suburban | 95 Cutlass Ciera | 76 Gran Torino (Cavalier and Durango SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                    X