Tripminder install - (adding ECM pin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam's tripminder

Hi Guys, I'm new tio this site but I've been messing with big Fords for 30 years
    I've got an '87 Vic that I'm putting Tripminder in now, seems like a snap. It's an LX but didn't come with all the goodies. I got pwr ANT and ILLUM ENT and
    AUTOLAMP out of a wrecked '83 I had hauled to my yard 'till I'm done w/it. My nieghbors must love Me.

Comment

Yes, I'm ressurecting an old thread. :p

Everything being discussed has been about installing Tripminders in the older cars. What do I have to do to install one from a CFI car into an '88 SEFI car? Is it plug and play for SEFI folks or do I need to do some wiring hacks?
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

It should be I'd think. Hard to say for sure but I really doubt the wiring for CFI tripminders is much different than SEFI tripminders.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Paul229
          Yes, I'm ressurecting an old thread. :p

Everything being discussed has been about installing Tripminders in the older cars. What do I have to do to install one from a CFI car into an '88 SEFI car? Is it plug and play for SEFI folks or do I need to do some wiring hacks?
          Paul, the tripminder harness that I installed in S.U. was from a CFI car. The only thing I had to change was to add the black wire loop on the CFI harness.

Here's how I installed my tripminder.

Comment

yeah Id guess it would all be the same... probably even more likely to have all the hookups ready to go too.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks for that link, Justin. I think that answers all my questions.

Comment

someone tell me how to install on ein my tc, i can get like 4 of em, theyre everywhere at my yard
                jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

I need help, lol!

I'm having issues with routing the wiring and connectors not reaching when others are plugged in. Also, is the Tripminder harness on a SEFI car different than a CFI car?
                  Last edited by Paul_; 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

CFI wiring works fine on SEFI car. Only difference is that extra black wire loop on the Tripminders plug (check my old thread for that info).

Paul, to reach that blue wire, you need to get all the slack you can from the original clock wiring harness that comes from the dash. Run your wiring from the Tripminder down towards the stereo and straight over to the blue wire behind the speedo. Plenty of room that way.

Of the two lower plugs on the harness, only the one with three wires will be plugged in. Leave the two-wire plug hang. Go over my thread about the installation, again. I had questions about that issue, as well.

If you have anything else, let me know.

EDIT: I just seen that SuperMotors lost all my damn pics in that thread. If you need reference pics, let me know. Don't think I'll have time tonight.
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 07-13-2006, 10:37 PM.

Comment

When you get a chance to reload the pics, that'd be awesome. I thought I had saved them, but I didn't. Thanks!

I tried making my life easy and removing the metal plate on top, and all I succeeded in doing was dropping 3 sockets down into the dash. My thinking was that if I removed the metal plate, I could run the wiring easier.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962
                        Of the two lower plugs on the harness, only the one with three wires will be plugged in. Leave the two-wire plug hang.

this was probably only true in your case Im thinking becuase you have dealer added cruise. The reason that end of the tripminder harness has two plugs (there has to be a reason its there...) is becuase that end of the tripminder harness acts like a bridge for the existing connector in the car.
                        Normally, you will find a connector to take apart, then plug one end of the tripminder harness end into one side, then the other end into the other side.

This is how it is in mine (except I have no fuel flow wire in it) and how it was in the box I took the tripminder out of.

Monty, the only reason I can guess that you didnt have both sides is becuase your box had no need for a fuel flow or speed signal circuits when it left the factory.

huge pic of tripminder wire harness
                        Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-14-2006, 12:23 AM.
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

85crownHPP*, what is this manual you have and where did you get it?
                          http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/2...nal/evtm78.JPG

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                          1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul229
                            I tried making my life easy and removing the metal plate on top, and all I succeeded in doing was dropping 3 sockets down into the dash. My thinking was that if I removed the metal plate, I could run the wiring easier.
                            No, no, no. That metal plate isn't worth all the trouble, at all. Go down from the TM towards the stereo and over. It's all open down there.

Comment

Paul, I updated the pics. LINK to thread.

Comment

fat nasty - i got that out of an EVTM (electric & vacuum troubleshooting manual) ford makes one for every car every year - i got mine off Ebay. They are goldmine if you are trying to do custum electronics or troubleshoot something gone wrong.
                                I have a thread in the CFI archives that I add any pics I take of my evtm
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X