Tripminder install - (adding ECM pin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder install - (adding ECM pin)

So, from posts i've found on GMN and CVN it seems that a tripminder can be installed on a '86+ panther for sure but i have never heard a straight answer about whether or not it can be on a CFI panther. I know with just a clock you have all the wires but 2: Green w/ white stripe (speed sensor) and Purple w/ blue (fuel flow). I found a green w/ white wire in a harness above the brake pedal that i think is the speed sensor(correct me if im wrong) and i have heard that on the ecm harness if you add a plug to port 34 that will work for the fuel flow. Has anyone done this on a pre '86 panther and had it work correctly?
    Last edited by 85crownHPP; 01-26-2006, 01:29 AM.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

The fuel flow wire should also be in that harness near the e-brake pedal, if not dangling from the ECM connector.
    I dont have one altogether, and can think of anyone with CFI that has it, or has added the pin.
    Anyone know if the tripminder was even an option on a CFI car?? I cant remember if ive ever seen one with it...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

In the harness above the brake pedal there is a second wire but it just looked black or brown, it was too dark out to tell but it didn't have any stripe, so would that just be a ground to something? I know '84 models had a tripminder optional because its listed in the owners manual, and i pulled my tripminder from an '84 cv. I will try to check on friday if mine has the fuel flow wire already in the ECM but i'm pretty sure it doesn't. Since i am a beginner at doing anything to cars is there anything important i should keep in mind when i disconnect the ECM connector besides maybe taking off the negative battery cable? ive made some stupid moves before

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
        The fuel flow wire should also be in that harness near the e-brake pedal, if not dangling from the ECM connector.
        I dont have one altogether, and can think of anyone with CFI that has it, or has added the pin.
        Anyone know if the tripminder was even an option on a CFI car?? I cant remember if ive ever seen one with it...
        My 84 had a tripminder. I think tripminders came out in '81, but don't qoute me on that. I still have it for sale if anyone is interested.
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

The fuel flow wire on my 86 TC is actually under the hood hanging out of the harness under the brake booster. This is actually the ECM connector. Not sure if a Vic might have one there or not but if you cant find it under the dash, it might be worth a look.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I never had a chance to check the ecm for the fuel flow wire today but i had another question. There is a single black wire with a single gray harness coming out from underneath the carpet to the left of the e brake. It isn't plugged into anything, does anyone know what it is for?

Comment

I tried to take a look at the ecm today, and it is a total pain in the ass to get the harness off. there are 4 clips and i cant get more tan 2 off at once, mostly due to the lack of space in there. I'l have to try again tomorrow or monday, any pointers, like something completely obvious i'm missing?

Comment

dont touch the clips! (yet)

you need to undo the single bolt in the center of the ECM connector - this will let you unplug it and get a closer look. Taking loose those clips will release the cover to the connector, exposing all the wires as they go in. Then you can dissaseble the connector if you plan to add a pin and wire for fuel flow.
                If you do, be sure to provide some documentation!
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok, got the ecm off, i thought the bolt in the middle just held the cover on not the whole thing to the firewall. I didn't have the wire already in there, i ghetto rigged a wire into the correct hole and drilled a hole in cover to go through but wasn't able to finish hooking everything up, its too damn cold out. I dont know if what i rigged will work without getting the right pin out of a junker but i have to drive a while to get to the junkyard I should know if it works tomorrow, and have pics.

Comment

It works! A working tripminder can be added to a CFI panther. I first got the ecm off the firewall and took off the covers to add the fuel flow signal wire.

I drilled a hole over the plastic cover above port 34. Then the hard part, using a pin i got at the junkyard i wiggled it through hole #34but i bent the pin trying to get it all the way in. Then i did it a second time. You have to get the orange rubber plug out enough to get the wire and some needle nose pliers in there and push it in without bending the pins. Then put it all back together, ran a wire through the firewall and into the dash. (make sure you get plenty of extra pins)

Then under the dash, above the brake pedal is a harness with a green wire w/ white stripe that is the speed signal wire, i put a T tap connector on that and rand the wire up to the tripminder.

connect the existing wires from the clock, and add the 2 new ones (mine are both red in the pics, it was the only wire i had laying around). Then thats it, everything works perfect takes a lot of patience to get the wire in correctly but it was worth it, would have been easier if it wasn't so cold out.

Last edited by FatNasty; 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM. Reason: pic url update

Comment

Good job, mang!!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Nice. I keep thinking about installing one in my car. The full digi dash would require disgusting amounts of work, but a Vic tripminder should not be too hard. Just have to figure out where exactly I would install it in a Towncar.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You are my hero :banana:
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                            You are my hero :banana:
                            You are my hero also.... i will be adding that pin 34 to mine soon as it gets warmer..Its just to fuckin cold outside to do anything but run to the car to get in and turn on the heat.
                            The Best
                            Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Good job mang!!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X