Big brake swap: done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big brake swap: done

OK, I got a big brake upgrade done. It looks really fucking stupid tho. My car is all crooked and silly looking. I guess next week I'll have to do another one so both sides have matching hardware. I was pressed for time, so we did the driver's side, and next weekend the other side along with the steering box and brake lines will be replaced. I'm not driving it, so no worries about the car being horribly unsafe due to really wierd suspension action. The old bushings were dead. The lower control arms were fairly off-center and the rubber was really dry and cracked. The metal brake lines under there look pretty scary too, so rather than wait for one to explode, they get replaced. I also changed one of the motor mounts while the control arm was out. It becomes pretty darn easy without all that junk in the way. The hardest part was getting the loose motor mount wiggled out around the crossmember between all the other junk that sits around it, such as brake and steering lines. The old ones are in fairly sad shape. The engine would rock pretty badly when shifting through the gears, and the mounts were original dry rotted junk. I was going to do them with the engine swap, but they were too hard to access. They're total cake with the suspension apart, and I highly reccomend anyone who has the lower control arms out for any reason to change the motor mounts while you're in there. It takes less than an hour per side to do if the control arm isn't in the way.

The new front springs have fatter coils and are about an inch shorter than the old ones. They also make the car sit a good inch higher, since they're higher rate and not worn by 20 years of use.

We also can confirm with absolute authority that one must use 98-02 hub bearings with 98-02 bridges and rotors. The parts store didn't have the correct bearings in stock, so going on a whim, a rumour, a hope and a prayer, we got the 92-95 (i think thats the years, its late) bearings. The earlier bearing puts the rotor about 1/8" closer to the bridge, which is enough for the rotor to press into the bridge very nicely once you install the wheel (or spacer in my case). Rotor jammed into bridge = no go. It does make torquing the wheel spacers on very very easy tho. Ended up tossing the bad bearing on just to get the car out the door. I'll change the bearing out next week or something when I have time and money. My employer decided on monday to change my pay date from 2/1 to 2/3. Meaning the cheque would be mailed out 2/3 and might show up 2/6. Currently I'm so broke I'm almost amazed I got home. I have about $15 in the bank, and $8 in my pocket after laying out cash for parts. Needless to say, I was not even a little bit pleased about this since it pretty much fucked me over. I barely had the gas to get home tonight even after putting $10 in the tank.

Oh. I also got to use the GMGT grinder on my shiny new caliper. I felt somehow inspired by it's owner as I sat there grinding on brand new parts. :cutit:
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Why did you grind the calipers, do they not fit properly?

Comment

LSC turbines have a lot of meat inside them wheel lip. Had to massage the outer edge of the caliper so the rim wouldn't rub. I might have to shave down a little more. It doesn't hit now but I imagine there is very very little clearance there and if I corner the rim might flex enough to whack the caliper.
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

GMGT grinder destroy! :headbang:

Good job, sucks about the hub bearings tho. Something to think about!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Sounds good! You got pics to go along with this??
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

it was a 96 hub bearing
            i haave pics, although gadgets ass is hanging out in most of em.......get a belt mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

blah blah blah. stop lookin at my ass.

Comment

LOL, Might be up there friday with the wagon to do some work and drop off some parts. Depends on the car situation.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Why not get wheels that fit and look better without cutting? :smirk:

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

cause lsc wheels are pretty and they look sharp on a towncar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

They look like they are factory for the towncars, almost...
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Actually if turbines identical in style to the 15" ones existed, I would have those. These are the next best thing. I also got them at a good price and they're in really nice condition.

Comment

I saw some HPP style wheels at Harry's next to a Mark VII, the kind with the black center. Someone should pick those up, I didn't have the cash.
                          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

HI Mangs, I post a thread similar to this but if any of you Mangs do the brake conversion from stock to '98 and can post pics I would be granted I want to see a pre 98 with the conversion done I went to Western auto in these days and request a quote for the parts needed for the conversion and I have the numbers but I still have a doubt regarding the hubs due to mentioned from Lincolnmania to me.

ATT, SNIPER 308.:worship: !! Ohh all mighty SNIPER !!
                            MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

1998 hub bearings are what you need.

OK, its done on both sides now. It sits level again. Today we're going to see about swapping out the steering box and replacing the front brake lines. I also need to pull the wheel on the driver's side and grind a little more off that caliper. It looks wrong with all those new shiny parts under the car. I'm used to grease caked garbage under there. I need to get the junk out of the trunk now, as the ass end of the car needs a lot of air in the shocks to sit level. Its really a lot stiffer up front from what I can tell compared to those old springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X