Frozen fuel lines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen fuel lines!

Anyone know a way to unfreeze fuel lines fast. I'm gettin no gas to my carb and its ultra cold out so that leads me to think its frozen. I got a halogen light under the car that heats things up. Any tips

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

i used a hair drier back in the day when i had frosen lines on my 81, but now ive smartened up and now use gas line anti-freeze...my fuel pump was always the prick, so cosentrait your heat to it.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm using a space heater and the light, I might try the heat gun too. Its just all waiting now.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

dump some gas under the car and light it. Should unfreeze quickly
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Just be careful with the heat gun, it sounds like you have a nice ass car, don't blow it up. :-D
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Water usually will lay in the fuel filters, so if you still have the frame mount filter like factory, put some heat there too. And use a crapload of drygas. Fuel lines should never freeze. Get the water out of them and you'll be fine.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I put heaters under the car. I have an old style mechanical fuel pump that I heated up too. It just gets no gas. I dont know what happened, it was fine last night and now no gas is being pumped at all. I cant work on it today cause I'm in school and have to go to a playoff game tonight.

Comment

Try filling the bowls up with fuel and start the sucker up. The heat and suction may just be enough to get the fuel moving. This worked on my old Chevy with a leaky fuel line, just cranking would not get the fuel to the pump but if I fired the motor it would stay running. It would take a few weeks sitting before it would not start normally again.
                2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Ive been doing that, Nothing comes through the lines. I dunno whats wrong with it. I think something might be clogged or the fuel lines are really frozen up.

Comment

Try testing the fuel pump.

I hooked up my pump to a small bottle of gas once when I needed to move my car while waiting for my new tank to be finished. A empty bottle of gear oil works great. If it can't draw out of the bottle the pump is fucked
                    2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                    2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Well I blew out the fuel lines after testing the pump like above using compressed air. Something was in my line, what ever it is, its on my garage floor. So now its fixed for the time being. I hope it doesnt happen again.

Comment

What are you running for a fuel tank pickup?
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

the 3/8 brake line pickup

Comment

I'm glad you figured the problem out.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                            Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                            5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Was the junk in the fuel line the cause of your loss of power under WOT?

Comment

Working...
                              X