Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had $1000, might a shop be able to do this swap? I lack the time and expertise to do it, and my AOD is almost shot and it's 6 months old (Gary's Transmission in Norfolk did it. New AOD, and it's already shot. They suck major <expletive deleted>.).

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

Um, you'd probably be better off asking the shop if they can do it, rather than asking us.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

bring it up here, we will do it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I am very sure that $1000 dollars will be far short of what any shop will charge you. You are pretty much talking that much in parts if you are buying new.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ill do it for a grand.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

I Hate to put a stick in folks plans but isnt the T5 a wee bit underpowered for our cars. I think there ment for smaller cars like t birds and stangs. Woldent a tremac be a better way to go?
              People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkKnight View Post
                I Hate to put a stick in folks plans but isnt the T5 a wee bit underpowered for our cars. I think there ment for smaller cars like t birds and stangs. Woldent a tremac be a better way to go?
                Depends on how you're driving it, and the condition of the transmission to begin with. As far as a Tremec goes, it was recently brought to my attention that they are pretty notchy, and not ideal for daily driving. They are meant to be hammered on.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Well Ive blown up one so far. But in all fairness it was howling and grinding when I put it in there. My rebuilt one seems to be doing good.
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkKnight View Post

The transmission doesn't make power. The motor does. There are tons of mustang guys, and even a wagon guy here running 4 cylinder t5's behind 5.0s with NO problems. They are built to handle even less power, but do fine. I've had a few mustangs with t5s and I could not blow one t5 up.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

My dad blew a couple T5's in his 85 stang. He owned the car from new so its not like he inherited a beat tranny, so that is why he always yells at me when i say i want a five speed.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Most t5 failures come from lack of ability to drive a stick. Fairly easy to overthrow the gear adn break the shift forks. A good aftermarket shifter that is setup properly won't have many issues.

I powershifted the shit out of mine, thousands of 4500rpm side steps on drag radials, melting tires through every gear....Had to replace the blocker rings a couple times, but no catastrophic failure. The 85s were also not as strong (NWC).... Though mine was a 4 cylinder trans....

Comment

Humm, can a t5 handel a synced slap stick then? Or would a Tremac be better? And I beat the fool out of manuals. So thats one vote for me allready on the Tremac.
                          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

The only major failures I know of after a T5 was installed into a Panther was a guy on CVN and myself... we both blew up the ring gears in the 8.8 rear axles, but the T5 held up just fine.
                            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
                              The only major failures I know of after a T5 was installed into a Panther was a guy on CVN and myself... we both blew up the ring gears in the 8.8 rear axles, but the T5 held up just fine.

Yeah, Uslydawg did the same thing you did but on a 1-2 shift with an AOD...

and it's a TREMEC DK. And it's not really how much you beat on it it's how you beat on it. I beat the crap out of my cars and I haven't blown a t5 up yet. WOT powershifts, 4500 rpm clutch side stepping on drag radials launches, burnouts from 1st to 5th gear....Teaching people how to drive stick even!! All done with a properly adjusted pro-5.0 shifter.

The only t5 I saw that had conistant problems was an 88 thunderbird turbo coupe with a head,cam, turbo and a lightwieght puck style racing clutch. Once we put in a more streetable clutch it never had another problem.

Comment

Another $.02 on the T5 strength.....it's great! I've had mine for coming up on 3 years. I (much like MRLTD) beat the ever loving crap out of it. I clutch kick all the time since I've gotten into drifting and with 275 wide tires I still haven't broken it. I've done open track road course events, auto-x events, drift events, and I tow my trailer and race car with it now (that's 4000lbs for the car, 200lbs for the weekend supplies, 1300lbs for the trailer, and 2300lbs for the race car = 7800lbs). Been towing for about two years now, and driven up mountains and down back roads.

If you are smooth and complete in your shifts, then it's a pretty reliable trans. If you get in the habit of letting the clutch out with the gear half way engaged, then yeah, the trans will fail, and so will you.

Comment

Working...
                                X