302 HO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 HO

Alright, I just bought an 86 302 HO for 380 bux. 86,000 miles on it.

I have 373s w/ trac lock, cold air intake, stock headers, off road h pipe, and turbo mufflers. What am I looking at in the 1/4 with the new motor? 86 has 200hp. What am I pushign right now?
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
    -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
    Supermotors

150 stock. 86 HO motor is no big deal. Same thing you have now with a different cam. It doesn't have the relieved pistons, doesn't have the good heads which amounts to an engine with no low end torque and no high RPM power. Bit pricey for an 86 motor if you ask me.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Should be easy 15's with that motor. If that motor has healthy bearings, you got it at a decent price but Explorer motors can often be found for $100 more.
      Find yourself an Explorer intake, throttle body and injectors. Even though the Mustang pistons are lacking reliefs, they are still forged unlike the CV/GM pistons. You can bolt E7 or even GT-40P heads any may not have to cut any eyebrows because of the GT-40P heads having standard 302 sized exhaust valves. With the stock HO cam, the intake valve probably has plenty of room. It is an easy check for clearance. Think of the lack of reliefs being a boost in compression instead of a negative.

Comment

You should have gotten an 87 up HO.

Comment

The '86 GT ran 15.05 stock back in the day. Your looking at 15.5's ideally with good driving for the heavier CV. Should be easy with your gears and TL.

Figures for the '86 200 hp @ 4000 rpm, 285 ft-lbs @ 3000 rpm.
          Figures for the '87 225 hp @ 4000 rpm, 300 ft-lbs @ 3200 rpm.

About the only difference was the heads/pistons.

I think you did pretty well, $380 for a 100% complete HO w/86K sounds good to me. You can sell the extra parts (like the headers to me) and buy some better heads.

1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have headers on my old motor you can have when I pull it. I was thinking maybe get a set of e7 heads for it with all that was said. How much power and torque would that get me. What would that get me in the 1/4's. Just curious.

I will deff sell you the headers when I get them off. Anyoen want a set of turbines? LOL
            -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
            Supermotors

Comment

with 3.73's and traction i think u might be lookin at low 15 maybe like a 15.3
              1999 CVPI
              Old Rides
              1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
              1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

Originally posted by trife86
                with 3.73's and traction i think u might be lookin at low 15 maybe like a 15.3

I highly doubt that...I'd say high 15's or low 16's
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Now wait if I swap the heads... wouldn't that fuck up how the car runs...

4 Door Muscle
                  Supermotors

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                    I highly doubt that...I'd say high 15's or low 16's
                    I have to agree here, though I am leaning more towards the low 16s. But he is going from an EFI engine already, so in comparison to all the guys that had an EFI and went to a 87+ HO, he is only going half way in terms of HP gains.

Comment

Only if you fuck up the install

You will need an HO computer regardless of the heads you run. The E7's with a stock cam will run fine.

Comment

Yea the guy is looking for his old comp.

4 Door Muscle
                        Supermotors

Comment

I do agree the car will run better...
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

302 HO

"Alright, I just bought an 86 302 HO for 380 bux. 86,000 miles on it.

I have 373s w/ trac lock, cold air intake, stock headers, off road h pipe, and turbo mufflers. What am I looking at in the 1/4 with the new motor?"

A few yrs ago, I bought an 86HO motor for $200, unknown miles, junk lo-po CV heads. Added my 83/84/85 Stang intake and carb, basically making it an 85 engine, shorties, AOD, 373s and eventually went 15.66 at 88mph in my 4200# wagon.

That engine now has fresh E7s milled .025 , has no clearance issues, and is ready to drop into my daily driver.

If you are using EFI, with a good flowing intake and a fuel pump that can keep up, you should see mid 15s.
                            Stock CV intake, lo 16s.
                            Speed cost....how fast u wanna go??

It's not how much hp u have...
                            It's how much hp u can put to the track...

Let's seperate the men from the boys and put that power to the track using street tires and stock suspension components

'Tis infinately better to sit quietly and be thought a fool,
                            than to speak and remove all doubt.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by SLYDAWG
                              A few yrs ago, I bought an 86HO motor for $200, unknown miles, junk lo-po CV heads. Added my 83/84/85 Stang intake and carb, basically making it an 85 engine, shorties, AOD, 373s and eventually went 15.66 at 88mph in my 4200# wagon.

That engine now has fresh E7s milled .025 , has no clearance issues, and is ready to drop into my daily driver.

If you are using EFI, with a good flowing intake and a fuel pump that can keep up, you should see mid 15s.
                              Stock CV intake, lo 16s.

Yeah, but he ain't in florida and it isn't your wagon Things are different in Florida...

Comment

Working...
                              X