Signs the Neutral Safety Switch is shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signs the Neutral Safety Switch is shot

Ok I have been searching everywhere and can't really get a straight answer. Ok so as some of you know I was looking at swaping out the trans on my vic this summer. When it is a WOT it seems to wrap up like I hear the engine reving up but it really is losing it to the wheels. I think it is my tranny. It has always been messed up because it sometimes would search for gears and the od would be really sluggish to engage. It has never slipped and when I took my vic in last year for a tranny flush at the dealer they said everything looked good in there. I have been wondering cause the Neutral safety switch is a $20 part and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier then if I replaced the whole trans. I guess would that be a possible cause? I got my tune and it firmed up the shifts and it helped the searching alot. I don't know but this thing has been haunting my car since I bought it and everything checks out? Could the clutches be worn and not grabbing like they should thus causing this huge feeling of loss of power? It doesn't slip that I can tell and the fact it was clean when you drop the pan. At 3/4 throttle it will throw you back in the seat but at WOT it will not.

Sorry for the long post I have been frustrated about this fucking tranny way too long. I will be greatful for any help.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

The nuetral saftety swith does nothing but prevent you from starting the engine if you are in gear. It's hard to tell, but it looks as if you are asking if NSS is causing the slipping. Is this what you are asking? Slipage can be caused by two things. The clutches not applying (valve body issue or a bad seal somewhere in the tranny) or it can be caused by warn out clutches.

Comment

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me.
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

NP :thumbsup:

Comment

all the NSS does is eep you from starting a car in gear. I think maybe you wanna look at the MLPS....This is what tells the tranny-computer what position the lever is in, R, OD, D, !-2

Comment

The Manual Lever Position Sensor is the one to suspect, since it controls shifting like JohnnyIroc said. I think its adjustable slightly but not a clue on the procedure. I know it can cause funky and no-shift conditions though. Anyone know if the MLPS doubles as a neutral safety switch on the electronic trans cars, or do they have a seperate switch for that?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              The Manual Lever Position Sensor is the one to suspect, since it controls shifting like JohnnyIroc said. I think its adjustable slightly but not a clue on the procedure. I know it can cause funky and no-shift conditions though. Anyone know if the MLPS doubles as a neutral safety switch on the electronic trans cars, or do they have a seperate switch for that?
              The MLPS acts as the NSS in 4R70W transmissions.

Comment

Working...
              X