Door Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Rust

I have an 88 Grand Marquis. From the bodyline down i have some rust spots over the wheel wells and on the lower quater panels (Surface Rust)... Where that damn plastic trim that runs down the center of the doors is i have two holes on two of the doors. the question is do i fix the holes or do i replace the doors??? ( I have an 89 Grand Marquis as a parts car that has good doors!) and how hard would it be to replace the doors?? Depending on which way i go with the doors i will be throwing the plastic trim in the GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx PORKCHOP

By all means, replace the doors if you got rust free ones handy.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

yes - rust is like cancer... leave one little bit behind, and it will all come right back.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If the rust is hidden under the molding, just scrape any loose rust off and paint some POR-15 on there. it'll stop the rust from spreading, and it's cheaper than new doors. you can find it at porstore.com
        1988 Ford Mustang coupe: 4cyl conversion, 5spd, 600cfm holley, roller rockers, headers, 2.5\" mac exhaust, alum. driveshaft, HD clutch, poor mans posi, blah blah blah.....

1993 Sable: Ultra Beater

Comment

Be forewarned hanging doors can be a massive bitch. Have a couple buddies ready to help.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

those things can really be a pain...

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

esp coupe doors!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
              X