Running rich...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running rich...

The engine is definitely overdoing it on fuel. The exhaust has that sweet smell to it, and she's smoking a tad. Not much, and it doesn't really dissipate either. I briefly looked at the vacuum lines and didn't see any broken or kinked lines. I also checked the line going to the MAP sensor and that was fine. The computer isn't throwing codes either. I think it might be the fuel pressure regulator but I won't be able to check that for a day or two as the car is going in later today to have the back brake lines done. Any other ideas? Plugs and wires are brand new.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Intake air sensor, engine coolant sensor, O2 sensors
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Pull the vac line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if its spitting fuel. Might also have a leaky injector.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought a sweet smell is burning coolant.

Comment

Nah, that's sweet smell AND blue smoke. Actually I have the same problem as Evil LTD, I get crappy city gas mileage with sweet smell in the exhaust but without losing any fluids, but I'm gonna deal with it when I get to installing my HO intakes.

Comment

NO, blue is OIL, white is coolant, black is fuel
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

My bad, mrltd is correct - coolant is white, oil is blue.

Comment

If I was burning coolant, wouldn't I smell it in the engine compartment? I'm only smelling the sweet smell out of the exhaust. My coolant level is fine, as is the reservoir so I can't be burning it.
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

My Ranger will put off a "sweet" smell when it's running in open loop (aka rich). It has converters, which leads to the wierd smell, do you?

I don't think you'd smell burnt coolant in the engine compartment unless you have an exhaust leak.

If you still have converters, they'll be trash if you keep running it with the car running rich.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What color are the spark plugs? If its rich, you'll see it on the plugs. I'd pop each one to see if they're a uniform color. If one is way different, either it'll be a vac leak or leaky injector on that cyl. If all the plugs are dark, then the whole engine is running fat, either from a massive vacuum leak causing the manifold vacuum to be low, or maybe from shot O2 sensors which are giving up a false reading. I'd scan it for codes to see what the ECM has to say too.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X