"Check Engine" light??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Check Engine" light??

OK, Today I took my EGR valve off and cleaned it up some and repainted it to get the 91 ready for a show tommorow.... When I pulled it off, I broke the damn plastic vacume hose going to it... So when I started it up to go get some new vacume hose.. the check "Engine light" came on... I thought, no big deal... it senses no vacume to the EGR.... Well, I got the vacume hose hooked back up, and now the damn light won't go off.... I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes... and it still comes on... the car runs fine... it is just that damn light!!!! Any ideas on resetting it, without putting it on a computer????

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Unhook the negative terminal on the battery and step on the brake pedal. That's supposed to clear the codes.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yep. :stupid:
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

OK--------- Thats something I have never heard of before....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

I've done it, it works.
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

you dont have to step on the brakes... you can turn on the lights, beep the horn... anything to completely drain out any leftover current in the cars electrical system.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Lisa: Hey dad, that light says check engine...
              Homer: Uh oh... the tape must have fallen off.... there, problem solved

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Did it work?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Nope... guess tommorow at work I'll read the codes with the reader and see if it has any codes thrown... it is probably the egr thing tho... at least with the reader, I KNOW I can shut the damn light off!!!! (reset the computer)

Tom...

Comment

Working...
                  X