no start condition on the cougar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no start condition on the cougar

ok i just got this car, 1991 cougar 5.0ho maf.

when it was warm a week ago (+15C) it would start but would crank for 3 secs and would stall in reverse if i didnt give it gas.

today its snowing and like -2c and it wont start. i changed the plugs, the old ones looked soaked in gas, i put in a coil that i knew worked. verified it working by giving myself a nice shock. i cleaned up the cap and rotor button with my dremel. i even put in a fresh battery but i drained it trying to get it to start. damnitall.

im going to maybe replace the injectors with some ones i have kicking around, that is if the fuel pressure is good.

what would make a car not start when cold? air temp sensor?

subscribing

Comment

Considering your plugs are soaked with gas, I'm guessing it's not a fuel issue, unless they're stuck open or something. I'm not keen on the newer t-birds/cougars but is there a way to pull codes? Still seems to me like it's a spark issue.

Comment

ya i have the code puller but i been swapping batterys out so the codes are probably gone

Comment

could it be the maf? if so should i try starting it with the maf unplugged? and do i have an intake temp sensor?

Comment

Cleaning the MAF is always a Must-Do on those cars. It should have an AIT, but I'm not sure I've heard of it causing a no-start condition.

Comment

Stand on the gas and see if it'll start if the new plugs are wet. That triggers a flooded engine condition to the ECM and it won't fire any extra fuel. I second the cleaning of the MAF, but honestly you should be able to pull it out of the air intake assembly totally and it'll still start, but usually will stall within a second because it detects no air flow. Once you do get it running, drive around for a while to get some run time on it, then scan it for codes to see what it has to say. Maybe change the fuel filter too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

tried the floored pedal trick, still no go. not even a sputter. just cranks and cranks. ill try different plug wires but i stil think its getting spark...

Comment

bad gas maybe? simple things first..
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS
                  2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                  1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                  Mercury Owners Group member
                  Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

How is the fuel filter? Probably pretty clogged. Unplugin the MAF will not have a positive effect at all. Sounds to be a fuel issue, or a lack of spark from the coil/distributor. Open the distributor up and check for moisture or any kind of debrigh. If you have an old one, use a tire pressure guage to find out what the fuel pressure is while cranking, and what it is before you start cranking, but after the fuel pump has primed the system. Could also be water in the gas.

Comment

ok this is weird. car will crank all day, but if i do the code scan with my reader, the car will start immediatly after im done this scan. turn car off, it will restart. and restart. and restart. let it sit for 10 mins and it wont start.

im going to change the fuel filter soon.

Comment

my mechanic said he wonders if reading the codes puts the advance timing back or somthing, he mentioned a crank sensor maybe...

oh i forgot, i swapped out some plug wires, put on a starter sol that i knew worked... and my mechanic watched for spark while i cranked. he said it turned over and some of the sparks looked half assed. is there a coil relay? wheres the fuel pressure relay?

im going to do the fuel filter and check fuel pressure next

Comment

TFI module.

Comment

what attachment did you use to clean up the cap? If you grind those studs inside, you might as well just get a new cap, grinding on those can widen the gap and you won't get good spark
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

oh and i may try this http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenan...-koeokoer.html

anyone have any tips about all that? i just have one of those shitty light and beep code readers.

Comment

Working...
                              X