PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: {brakes} line lock install

Default {brakes} line lock install

but i m looking to install line lock in my cs how do i do it and where are the brake lines to do it is there multiple or one and i also want to install a hand brake in my car can i r route the foot brake to be a hand brake

Has-been that never was. Blaze86Vic's Avatar

Depends on how you want it to work. Do you want to press the brake then press the line lock and have it hold the front brakes while your foot is off the brake? Or do you want to press the line lock first and be able to press the brakes multiple times while it blocks off the rear brakes?

In situation one :
    Pros; no bake lights while in use (more cool I guess), frees both feet for use
    Cons; to let off and re-aply the brakes causes the rear brakes to apply, if it shorts out and closes while driving you just lost over 70% of your braking force.

In situation two:
    Pros; can re-aply front brakes independant of the rear, if it shorts out you only lose a small percentage of your braking force.
    Cons; requires the use of both feet to do a burnout, and brake lights will be on while the brakes are applied (less cool I guess)

I have it mounted in situation two style. I love it, one really nice thing I can do is easily do a rolling burnout, or do donuts and then return to a stationary burnout without applying the rear brakes. It is also very easy to mount and install. If you are good with making the double flares you will not even need new brake line. You can use the existing line without having to relocate it or even bend it. I replaced one piece on mine, but only because as I pulled it off it started to leak through a rust spot on it. Directly under the driver side behind the wheel in the corner of the frame is the perfect mounting spot.

Here are some pics of where I have it installed.

Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-06-2006 at 07:30 PM.

BTW, if you would like I think this should be renamed something like Line Lock isntall info. And it should be stickied and archived eventualy.

Certified Yeti Trainer grandpaslincoln's Avatar

I'm gonna go with option 2 when I do mine, just seems cooler to me lol

blaze vic what size brake line did you use 3/8

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86Vic
    Depends on how you want it to work. Do you want to press the brake then press the line lock and have it hold the front brakes while your foot is off the brake? Or do you want to press the line lock first and be able to press the brakes multiple times while it blocks off the rear brakes?

In situation one :
    Pros; no bake lights while in use (more cool I guess), frees both feet for use
    Cons; to let off and re-aply the brakes causes the rear brakes to apply, if it shorts out and closes while driving you just lost over 70% of your braking force.

In situation two:
    Pros; can re-aply front brakes independant of the rear, if it shorts out you only lose a small percentage of your braking force.
    Cons; requires the use of both feet to do a burnout, and brake lights will be on while the brakes are applied (less cool I guess)

I have it mounted in situation two style. I love it, one really nice thing I can do is easily do a rolling burnout, or do donuts and then return to a stationary burnout without applying the rear brakes. It is also very easy to mount and install. If you are good with making the double flares you will not even need new brake line. You can use the existing line without having to relocate it or even bend it. I replaced one piece on mine, but only because as I pulled it off it started to leak through a rust spot on it. Directly under the driver side behind the wheel in the corner of the frame is the perfect mounting spot.

Here are some pics of where I have it installed.

anyone else see the bondo on his floorpan in this pic??....install info, i need details, like exact instal instructions
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I think the stock size to the back is 5/16 or 1/4. Not sure offhand.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I don't see bondo. Not much for the install really. Whack the line in half, flare it like you're putting in a connector, and thread it into the line lock instead. Might need to trim the line slightly to make it fit all purdy like. Wiring goes to a switched 12v source.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Deffinitly no bondo, where do you think you see bondo? As was said, very simple to install. Cut, install thread fittings, then flare, then bolt it up. I drilled a small hole in one of the floor drain plugs and fed the wires through there. Made it a small hole so that it still seals.

Quote Originally Posted by 83tc
    install info, i need details, like exact instal instructions
    If you buy a quality kit like the Hurst kit, it comes with exact instructions for a conventional front brake installation. If you are installing it in-line to the rear like Blaze did, it is a no-brainer. You just need a double flare tool and fresh brake line if your lines are weak.

With a quality switch and a competent installation, there is almost no chance of shorting and applying since the solenoid fails open (needs current to apply).

Quote Originally Posted by Mercracer
    With a quality switch and a competent installation, there is almost no chance of shorting and applying since the solenoid fails open (needs current to apply).
    And with a competent install and quality parts a plane will almost never fail....so I guess we don't need parachutes then do we? No matter how much time and quality parts you put into something, there is always a chance it can fail.
    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-07-2006 at 07:44 AM.

And with a competent install and quality parts a plane will almost never fail....so I guess we don't need parachutes then do we? No matter how much time and quality parts you put into something, there is always a chance it can fail.
    Have to say, he's got a point!!!!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

All the line locks I have seen are mounted up near the master cyl. It's more prone to damage/corrosion where you mounted yours.

The biggest advantage to running the line lock on the front brakes is to hold the car at the starting line at the strip. Load up the converter and push the button when the last yellow light goes on WEEEE.

The line lock solenoid eventually fails mechanically and leaks IIRC

Certified Yeti Trainer grandpaslincoln's Avatar

Some are rebuildable with kits on summits website IIRC

Archangel

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy
    All the line locks I have seen are mounted up near the master cyl. It's more prone to damage/corrosion where you mounted yours.
    I was wondering about that actually, if you're in a place that uses lots of salt on the road and you drive the car in the winter that solenoid is just gonna take unnecessary abuse.

The biggest advantage to running the line lock on the front brakes is to hold the car at the starting line at the strip. Load up the converter and push the button when the last yellow light goes on WEEEE.
    Uhm, and how is that different from locking off the rear brakes and holding the car with the left foot on the brakes while revving up the engine with the right foot on the gas? After the fun of having to stop a fully loaded 18-wheeler with the trailer brakes only I'd never even consider restricting the front brakes of any vehicle in now way.

One less thing to worry about when racing in a quick car....

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

upper riht corner, i see flaking paint(?)and underneath that tell tale bondo color, not to mention the visible seam around the area as well, patch panel?, or is it just the fact paint peeking through and a odd shaped floorpan?, cause mines all smooth
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast